New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Which Camcorder works best with MBP for streaming

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RezDuane

RezDuane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP

I've been streaming video on a site called UstreamTV. I need a camcorder that will connect to my MBP for streaming live video. I've been recording on my Sony handycam and then broadcasting but I want to go live with it.
I'm looking at the Panasonic AG-DVC20 and the Panasonic NV-MD1000. So far, the NV has only been in PAL not NTSC. So I'm not sure if it comes in NTSC. Any suggestions?
tnx
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If your Sony has firewire (i.Link) then that should be useable. USB camcorders are a no go. Webcams may also be useable. Both of the cameras you mention seem to have firewire. I don't think it will matter if you use PAL or NTSC, after all, you are not broadcasting to televisions.

I see the free Camtwist mentioned a lot in my Google search. This enhancement overview by Bwana may be helpful to you. He also linked to a neat overview.

I see UStream has their own software called Ustream Producer.

DV cameras can supply live feeds by setting the camera to the VCR/Playback switch instead of the record switch. At least my Canon can. Play with that in iChat or iMovie to figure that out. Oh, remove the tape since the auto shutoff maybe in effect when one is loaded.

Short of experimenting with QuickTime Broadcaster, I haven't used live streaming. Looks like fun if you can get it going and have something interesting to say that will gather an audience. Good luck.

BTW, what is your Ustream channel/show/account?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

Good information! Thanks a bunch . . . my handycam is a USB type.
We broadcast on FirstNationsGathering on USTREAM: Special Events at First Nations Gathering on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
If your Sony has firewire (i.Link) then that should be useable. USB camcorders are a no go. Webcams may also be useable. Both of the cameras you mention seem to have firewire.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Cool!

Seeing happy birthday sung with a big drum in the background was a first for me.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

Yeah, we have a tendency to get out of the box now and then
QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

So from what I've learned so far, the Panasonic NV-MD1000 will apparently work just fine and that's about the max I want to pay for one now.
Thanks for your input, xstep. I found some good info there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 11: Importing from Camera | How to play .exe and .dvr video files »