New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Exporting with iMovie.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

35g700

35g700 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m

I've been working on a small project thats about 4 minutes long. After cutting out everything that's unneeded I've got about 140 short clips and I've got them in the order that I want them. The video plays fine in iMovie but when I export the film the audio doesn't line up with the video after a certain point in the video. The original clips are fine and have the correct audio so I don't know whats causing this. I've tried detaching the audio and that works however if I do that I need to detach the audio from every clip and once I get about 2/3rds of the way through that iMovie locks up and the only way to close it is to force quit it. I opened up activity monitor and found that iMovie was using 100% of one core and none of the other. I still have about 2 gigs of memory free when iMovie locks up so I know its not a CPU/RAM issue.

I've worked quite hard on this project and iMovie was the first program I found that seemed to work good and I don't want to have to restart or find a different program. What should I do to fix this problem with iMovie?

Laptop PC - MacBook Pro Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM| GeForce 320m
Desktop PC - Core i5 750 @ 3.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 | XFX 6870(Overclocked) | Winows 7 x64
Certifications - CompTIA A+ Certified | Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Wow, that is 1.7 seconds per clip!

What version of iMovie and OS X are you using? Do all of the source files use the exact same video and audio codecs? The audio drift may be attributed to audio that is of different settings. The pros prefer AIFF set to 16bit & 48kHz because differing settings between sources can cause drift issues.

One thing I'd try is to export the audio by it self as an AIFF file set to 16bit and 48kHz. I'd then also export the video by it self (no audio) as a high grade video. Then import both into a new project and marry them back together.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
35g700

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m

Thanks for the reply xstep!

I was using iMovie '09 with Mac OS X 10.6.4. I upgraded iLife '09 to iLife '11 and the export worked fine in iMovie '11. Don't know what the issue was but it worked and I'm happy about that.

The reason why their are so many clips is because the clips are all good plays from COD4. Even getting to the point where I could edit the clips took a long time... I used an old Hauppage WinTV PVR-150 to record the video which records in MPEG-2 Interlaced. So a 5 minute long video was about 500MB in size. I then had to find a program to deinterlace the video and the only way I could effectively do that was using HandBrake in either Linux or OS X. I didn't have enough room on my hard drive (and a 2.4GHz C2D is extremely slow for converting video) so I went with the linux version on my desktop. The problem with that was Handbrake was unstable so it would crash a lot. Finally I managed to get enough deinterlaced so I could make a good video. Thats when I tried iMovie (had tried Kino, KdenLive, OpenShot) all of which had issues. iMovie '09 worked great but had the sound issues. As a last ditch effort I upgraded to iMovie '11 and everything worked fine. I was then able to to export the movie and put it into good old movie maker to put the finishing touches on (I used movie maker because this started before I got a mac.)

Anyways thanks a lot for the help. Hopefully I will get a more modern tuner card so I won't have to go through so much stuff for the next video

Desktop PC - Core i5 750 @ 3.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 | XFX 6870(Overclocked) | Winows 7 x64
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Sounds like quite an adventure. Good to hear iM11 fixed it.

Converting video is always time consuming. The problem isn't that the 2.4Ghz C2D is slow.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
35g700

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Sounds like quite an adventure. Good to hear iM11 fixed it.

Converting video is always time consuming. The problem isn't that the 2.4Ghz C2D is slow.
The C2D is getting old and compared to the i5 750 @ 3.8GHz in my desktop it is slow

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Toast DVD 16:9 | iMovie 11: Importing from Camera »