New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Simplest way to put iPhone movies on YouTube?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HiFreq47

HiFreq47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Intel Quad-core i7 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB drive

Hi, I'm new to the Mac. My PC finally bit the dust after 8 years and I moved to a 27" iMac.

It's been a smooth transition as I'm a Linux admin by profession, but a few minutes ago I went through the hassle of publishing an iPhone movie to YouTube.

The way I did it was to import the movie from my iPhone into iPhoto, then export the movie out of iPhoto. I then imported the exported movie into iMovie, did some slight clipping to get rid of a few seconds in the beginning and a few seconds at the end, and published it to YouTube right from iMovie.

That sounds stupid to me. There must be a way to import directly from my iPhone into iMovie ... or at least import directly into iMovie from iPhoto without having to export the movie out of iPhoto first ... no?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Or you can just upload the video directly from your phone to YouTube.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

You can edit in the iPhone via the iMovie App you can purchase.

Or sync your phone to get your movies into iPhoto on your iMac (~ automatic depending on your settings)…then open iMovie and let it build thumbnails…which imports the new movies in iPhoto into it.
QUOTE Thanks
HiFreq47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
You can edit in the iPhone via the iMovie App you can purchase.

Or sync your phone to get your movies into iPhoto on your iMac (~ automatic depending on your settings)…then open iMovie and let it build thumbnails…which imports the new movies in iPhoto into it.
I tried that. Got the movies into iPhoto, but couldn't figure out how to get iMovie to either see them or import them.
QUOTE Thanks
HiFreq47

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Or you can just upload the video directly from your phone to YouTube.
Ding ding, we have a winner. Never even thought to see if that was possible. This is officially my "doofus-of-the-day" moment.
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
Ding ding, we have a winner. Never even thought to see if that was possible. This is officially my "doofus-of-the-day" moment.
Yes, and DL the previously noted iMovie App and then you can do a decent amount of clipping or editing to your preference….with everything done right on/from your iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/imovie.html
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
I tried that. Got the movies into iPhoto, but couldn't figure out how to get iMovie to either see them or import them.
Maybe you are overcomplicating things? When iMovie is opened, it notes any new viddies in iPhoto and asks you if it can generate thumbnails. If you allow it to do so, then you can edit those clips.

So in my case when I sync I have things set to automagically suck in any new vids or pics. So then they are backed up in my Macbook Pro and available for heavier duty editing in iMovie once I let the latter generate the thumbnails. If iMovie was not open then opening it makes it asks about generating the thumbnails.

Easy, however you want to go about doing things.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting dvds to mp4 to play on ipod touch | DVD ripping software »