New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

i5 imac/4GB RAM vs. i7 imac/8GB RAM for final cut pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matrixweb

matrixweb is on a distinguished road

I am purchasing my first mac computer. The main use of the computer will be to use final cut pro for video editing of hdv. I am debating between the imac quad-core, 2.8GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, which is in stock with my local apple dealer and can be picked up right away, or upgrading to the 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 8 GB RAM. This is a custom order and will take about 2 weeks to deliver.
I am new to both final cut and mac so I am not really sure if the upgrade is needed. I am told that the i7 processor runs about 27% faster than the i5 and I could save quite a bit of time 'processing' the video with the i7. However, someone else had told me that i5 imac with 4 GB RAM is more than adequate to run final cut pro, so I wonder if the upgrade really makes a difference.
Is it worth the extra cost and waiting time for delivery (2 weeks) for the upgrade to the i7 processor and/or 8 GB RAM? Is there any appreciable difference in time running final cut pro on an i5 imac with 4GB RAM vs. i7 imac with 8GB RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
archos4

archos4 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2

I couldn't give a direct comparison between those 2 Macs I'm afraid. But I've got an iMac 2.66GHz Core 2 duo with 4GB RAM (see profile) and have used final cut studio on it. There hasn't been much lag at all to be honest. But I'd say having an i5 quad core processor at 2.8 GHz is more than sufficient. I haven't had bad lag at all with mine. So quad core should have no problems.

archos is our language's variant on the greek word "apxos", meaning master.
4's the most regular, perfect number in the world-except mathematically.

tanktrouble.com > Surface > Light Peak > X-48B > Flash
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I've used Final Cut Pro on my MacBook Pro 15" Core2Duo 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM and even this dosn't give much lag if any most times

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting Movies to Divx for Archos | iDVD menu, single still image, resizing for TV Safe? »