Producing Video with Macbook
    Hi All

I am the IT administrator for our church and have been asked to take a look at our multimedia / video creation and how to improve it.

At the moment we have a Mac Book (2006 version) with iLife 09 and Final Cut Express 3.5.

Our video clips are currently being created in iMovie 09, however I'm not sure that we are getting the best out of this and wanted to see what our options are.

Money isnt in abundance so here are my proposed plans:

Mac Book currently has 1.5 GB RAM so I intend upgrading this to 3 GB

Instruct staff to learn Final Cut Express 3.5 or possibly upgrade to Final Cut Express 4.

As the Mac Book only has 1 hard drive, add an external Firewire drive as a "scratch disk" - Though sure how this will work with only ONE firewire port on the Mac Book.

Anyway if anyone could comment / advise / add etc my upgrade plans I'd really appreciate it.

Regards

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Firewire being far better designed than USB, one port is all you need. Almost all FW peripherals have a second FW port on them, allowing for "daisy-chaining."

On to the real world: I know you said money was tight, but a 2006 MacBook isn't really going to run Final Cut terribly well no matter how much RAM you throw at it. If you absolutely can't upgrade to a more recent machine, I'd stick to iMovie 09 or iMovie 11 till you can. The scratch disk and the RAM will help.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Firewire being far better designed than USB, one port is all you need. Almost all FW peripherals have a second FW port on them, allowing for "daisy-chaining."

On to the real world: I know you said money was tight, but a 2006 MacBook isn't really going to run Final Cut terribly well no matter how much RAM you throw at it. If you absolutely can't upgrade to a more recent machine, I'd stick to iMovie 09 or iMovie 11 till you can. The scratch disk and the RAM will help.
    Hi Buddy

Thanks for that.

Please bear in that it is Final Cut Express we intend to use and the Macbook more than meets the System Requirements as stated on the Apple FCE website

Seems to run FCE OK!

Regards

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Ah, sorry, I misread FCE as FCP. Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Ah, sorry, I misread FCE as FCP. Carry on!
    No worries

So my ideas are OK until we get a more powerful MAC then?

Regards

Thread Information