Extracting audio from video as individual tracks
    All --

My first post on the forums so thanks in advance. I am on a new MB Pro with Snow Leopard.

I have some large .m4v video files from which I would like to extract the audio.

My goal is that each "chapter" in the video file should become a distinct audio file so I can load all the audio into iTunes and select only certain chapters to listen to.

From advice on these forums, I have figured out a (clumsy) way to produce a single audio file by bringing the video into iMovie and extracting the audio track, but this seems to produce a single long audio file that is a bit cumbersome to navigate. Not sure if I buy Quicktime Pro if that solves the problem??

All help gratefully appreciated.

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    The best I've ever used is WireTap - with its now Studio version (used to be Pro). It will extract as much or as little audio as you want from whatever is going through the Mac.

Audio Hijack will also do the job, but not as efficiently or as simply as WT. WTP will record in a variety of formats, eg. .mp3 for compactness, AAC for quality.
    [Just a little hint if using WT - don't allow any other system sounds, eg. a chime on the hour, or similar, when recording audio. WT will record it too.

I suggest you consider Amadeus as well. It's an excellent audio editing application. QuickTime Pro too is very good.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thread Information