How to burn a DVD from iMovie
    Hi there
    I've been all over the Internet, YouTube and the tutorials and cannot find any instructions on how to burn a DVD of a movie I made in iMovie.

I added all the transitions, music etc I want and just want to burn the DVD so that we can watch it on a TV in America. I burned 2 but when trying to play it, it said "not compatible".

I couldn't find anywhere to select NTSC or PAL or to select the quality etc.

I suppose it must be available somewhere and I overlooked it. Can someone PLEASE help me with this?

1.Open iMovie, choose the movie you want to transfer.
    2.Click Share > iDVD.
    3.The progress indicator remains on the screen until the export to iDVD is complete.
    4.iDVD opens your project and displays the title of your slideshow in a default theme.
    5.Click File > Burn DVD. Your DVD will automatically start to render and burn.

Problem with DVD
    Hi Kelly

Thanks for your reply. I tried it again, followed it step-by-step and again it said "cannot play" when trying to play it back on our TV.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the settings but I don't know how and where to check that.

Any suggestions are welcome please.

iMovie to DVD
    Hi there

It's about 2 weeks later and I just wanted to post our results here in case it can help someone in future.

I ended up talking to the tech guru's at Apple and they thought it had something to do with our DVD player settings but we tried 3 different ones and none of them could play the DVD.

I then went to the Genius Bar and discussed the issue with 2 different people. One of them knew exactly what I was talking about and had the same problem. Long story short - she suggested using a -R DVD to burn it on instead of +R that we have been using.

Apparently this is more compatible with iMovie and iDVD - it worked and now we have a beautiful video of our vacation.

Bye for now

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    No, DVD-R is not more compatible with iMovie/iDVD -- it's more compatible with DVD players.

Glad you got it sorted!

Thread Information