New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

is iBook capable for adequate video editing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lust4life

hello! i am new to this forum and to macs. i am planning on purchasing a mac just for a change. i am a film student and i hope to get a notebook for class. i don't expect to do all my video editing on it (since school has the equipments), but i do expect to do a little editing myself for practice/fun/projects. i am currently on a budget. i would love to get a powerbook but it seems like an iBook is more affordable. i was thinking of getting a cheaper G5 desktop but i think a portable laptop would work better for me because i am also a psych double major and i bring my computer to class from time to time. is ibook capable for adequate video editing? it looks really nice. also, is 1.2/1.33 gHz fast? how fast is it comparing to p3 and p4? i am computer illiterate. i wanna learn more.

i am sorry if this question has been asked before. thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

With enough RAM I would expect it to work just fine. Don't expect anything spectacular... But it will run FCP and get the basics done.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

yep the ibook will be great i run final cut pro often
BUT BUY 1 GIG OF RAM or else its gonna suck.....

QUOTE Thanks
smeshy123

smeshy123 is on a distinguished road

I've done 2-3 min vids on my 12" IBook with Final Cut Pro...it's nice...how fast is 1.2Ghz? Fast enough for me to run QuarkXPress, PhotoshopCS, about 5-6 web browsers, ITunes, BBEdit...and maybe something else with very little lag...thats with memory upgraded to 768mb though...I love it...much faster then I anticipated among purchasing it...

15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini
QUOTE Thanks
lust4life

i am thinking of upgrading my ibook too if i am to buy one. is a RAM of 512mb enough for what i am looking for? also, is 30GB good enough? i don't know much about video editing on mac, i wish i know more. T_T please kindly give me some recommendations.

btw, thanks for replying so fast!
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

noooooooooooooooooooooo i can guaranty that if you buy 512 you will be extremely disappointed i say just max it out to 1.25....
and dont buy ram from apple...newegg only

QUOTE Thanks
lust4life

or do you think a G5 20" is more worth?
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4life
or do you think a G5 20" is more worth?
That all depends on what you need it for.... Any motion graphics... or advanced editing... And of course the G5 is going to tear the iBook apart.

But if you need something portable and don't plan on anything too intense... The iBook is definitely a better choice.

But as it has already been said... 1GIG of RAM.... Bare Minimum. Even in the G5.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
lust4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLEFTOVERCRACK
noooooooooooooooooooooo i can guaranty that if you buy 512 you will be extremely disappointed i say just max it out to 1.25....
and dont buy ram from apple...newegg only

where would you suggest to buy additional RAM? i never tried that before. :dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

newegg.com

QUOTE Thanks
lust4life

how do you upgrade by yourself? i mean, how do you install it?
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

On the iBook the keyboard pops off, remove the airport card, and you unscrew the plate that covers the RAM... easy as pie. The iMac is a little more of a pain.... but basically just unscrew the 3 screws on the bottom and pop the back off.

edit: did I just invoke the phrase "easy as pie?"... crap... i did.

QUOTE Thanks
lust4life

^^ i'm just worried that i might screw up the inside, haha. is it really.. as you said, "easy as pie"?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4life
where would you suggest to buy additional RAM? i never tried that before. :dummy:
I disagree about newegg, they are dishonest and deceiving. Buy from Archmemory or Crucial. I bought from Arch and installed myself. It very easy to install yourself. It tells you how to install it in your manual that came with ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Crucial charge extra if you use the memory locator though... check the type you need there and then find it yourself in their listing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AVI-->VOB | Motion Sickness?! »