Handbrake settings
    Howdy, I am new to using handbrake and am not very familiar with all of the possible settings. I am currently trying to download recordings from my Canon HD Vixia HG20. I have tried a couple of the handbrake pre-sets and the picture quality is not as good as I would like it (motion is a blurry or jerky). Does anyone have any settings suggestions that may give me a better quality video? If I have left some information out, please let me know and I will provide it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    What format are you converting to?
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

I am trying to convert to mp4, but don't have any strong reasons for that. I am open to other formats if I can gain a better quality video.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Well you will get better quality converting to MKV, but it depends on what you are going to be viewing the final results on (Mac, Tv etc...).
    How big is the original file, and do you have a target size in mind?
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

The original file is not that big. It is only a couple minutes of video. We are usually video taping our daughter doing something for the first time (she is 7 months old). We will probably be viewing this on both a tv and a mac. However, on the tv, I have an appleTV (if that makes a difference). I don't have a target size in mind. I am new to video conversion and would simply like to learn more.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    The thing to remember about converting video is that the resultant file can NEVER be better quality than the original file, period.

That being said, try the "High Profile" setting in HB and see what happens. If that doesn't work, mess around with the bit rate settings until you find something that looks good to you. I rip most DVDs at 2500k but you're working from lower quality video so your results may vary.

Thread Information