New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Pioneer Bluray for Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vampii

Vampii is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I want to buy a Pioneer Bluray 205BK for my Mac Pro, but am a little confused as to why there seem to be Mac and PC version of the drive with the Mac versions being more expensive. Does anyone know what the differences are? The Mac compatible drives come with Internal SATA kit, cables and installation guide. Is it still possible to get the PC version and buy the cables separately? Would anyone know what cables I would need to get? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You might want to check to see if the firmware version for the Mac drive is different than that of the drive for the PC. If that's so, a PC drive may not work in your Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Vampii

The thing is.. Pioneer's website only has one model.
The mac version seems to be sold by mac resellers which leads me to think that they are selling the so called pc version with cables needed to connect it to macs
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That might be true. I've seen hard drives advertised as "for the Mac" which turned out to be just an ordinary hard drive. The "for the Mac" gives them an opportunity to charge more.

Something else to keep in mind about Blue Ray though... is that if you intend to use it in OS X, your choices are rather limited. Also, you might be interested in this BR player which purports it's for the Mac Pro: LINK A bit pricey at $199 but it looks like a nice unit. Supposedly will work with Final Cut Studio (playback).
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Same answer as provided on MacTalk Australia forums Vampii.
QUOTE Thanks
Vampii

Thanks everyone for your replies. The MCE drive certainly looks like a good unit. Their Australian reseller is macfixit but it doesn't look like macfixit has stock. Don't really want to buy from the US because that will mean additional postage costs and a delay of getting it here. The pioneer 205BK goes quite cheaply here and a google search shows that many people are using it on their macs, if i could find out how it was hooked it up and what cables were needed that would be great
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MTS Files | searching codec mpg »