New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Media Sharing to Ps3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GinoLicious

GinoLicious is an unknown at this point

Hey Guys, I have searched everywehre and only come up with dead trails. A lot of the links are dead and programs I try do not seem to work. I'm trying to transfer movies from my macbook onto my ps3 through a media sharing way.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

This is what I use:

PS3 Media Server

This streaming software works great for many different containers and will transcode on the fly.

now, if you're trying to share movies you purchased through iTunes, AFAIK you're out of luck due to DRM.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
GinoLicious

I have this program, but for some reason my ps3 wont recognize it or my computer wont recognize the ps3.... I have my media sharing enabled on my ps3 as well.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

Are they on the same network? Do you have a firewall enabled on the Mac? Are you sure that you have the PS3 Media Server on the Mac actually turned on (not just running, as I recall you still need to turn it on) and do you have media listed in the media server software (I'm not sure if it will announce itself if it doesn't have media listed within it.)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
GinoLicious

I would assume they both are on the same network. Both running off of my own secured internet. My ps3 media server is enabled. That is all it says. If you are asking me if ive gone into something like searching wifi for a media server no i have not, not sure how to do that or even if that exists. The server is enabled so im pretty sure that means its on.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Ok, questions -

On the status page of the PS3 Media Server - does it state:

PS3 has been found !

If it doesn't, check the Traces and make sure that the media server has bound itself to your ethernet adapter (I know on my system it seemed to want to attach to my VMWare adapter first instead of my physical ethernet adapter)

If it is showing PS3 has been found check the Navigation/Share Settings tab

make sure you have:

Shared folders listed that actually contain movie files
put a check mark next to Enable the media library

I just tested mine again an it's working as it should, PS3MS Version 1.10.5

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 09 Settings...? Please Help! | Burn a MPEG4 to DVD to play in a standard DVD Player »