New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Backing Up HD Vacation Video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WLC

WLC is on a distinguished road

I want to transfer my vacation video to an external hard drive (1TB) which has been correctly formatted to my IMAC. My problem is when I click on the little button at the top of the event block which than shows all available discs the hard drive I want has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the centre. I have tried everything possible to drag these events to the external hard drive but no luck. I have tried dragging photos and other folders to this external hard drive with no problem. Anybody got any ideas what the triangle is telling me and how I can get this vacation movie backed up to the external hard drive so I can start working on it? As the video is a total of 24 days and HD it is taking a lot of room on my hard drive
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

comments & questions:

Are you trying to do this in iMovie? If you are, you should mention that in your post and in the title - it seems like you are from your description of where you're seeing the yellow triangle.

The reason I say you should mention that if you are using iMovie is that you'd get someone responding who knows iMovie - which is what would help you, vs someone like me who is reading it who knows Final Cut better then iMovie.

Also, just for reference, the system is an iMac, not an IMAC

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
WLC

Yes I was referring to the iMovie application. Also the external hard drive is formatted correctly. In fact I reformatted it again just to make sure I had done everything correctly. By the way I am still fairly new to the iMAC and only use forums when I am really stuck so forgive any transgressions I may write or use. As stated in my first request I have dragged photos and music to this external hard drive with no problem. So if I can get past the yellow triangle in iMovie than hopefully the problem will be solved.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I haven't used iMovie all that much, but I think you have to export your video. Don't think you can just drag like you can with iPhoto, but I could be wrong on this.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
WLC

My video has been down loaded to iMovie.
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

Are you doing this wirelessly? If so, it won't work. I found that out the hard way. You have to plug the ehdd into your Mac. I recently moved what I could onto an external. Check out this link:
Relocating iMovie footage to an external hard drive - Sugarloaf Tech
QUOTE Thanks
WLC

Thanks Trolle; you solved my problems. I did try the padlock route as it sounded easier but than could not find the padlock so came back to the site you said to try. I tried one event and it worked perfectly. I now have 14 long days of our cruise to back up but at least I can now start getting some of my hard drive space back. Again many thanks to everyone, especially Trolle, for the help extended to somebody who has not quite figured out the ways of life on a MAC.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flip Camcorders | Saving DVD-R to macbook pro hard drive? »