New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Adding spoken audio to iMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

I am making a movie about my family history and have been interviewing my relatives. I have decided that I want to simply use their audio and lay that over various pictures. I can figure that out no problem, but the video files are enormous and eating up my HDD. I have been recording everything on my video camera, but am wondering if I can use a dictaphone.

Can I record the audio on a dictaphone, import that to iTunes, and then import that audio file? Can I edit in the audio (cut, move, etc.) like I can in iMovie?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Version of iMovie?

Yes. Figure it out using a song from iTunes. See the tutorial at Apple.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

I have version 8.0.6.

I know how to add a song from iTunes. I was merely wondering if an audio file from a dictaphone would suffice.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Well, you described importing the audio to iTunes and then into iMovie. The process from iTunes to iMovie will be the same, so you can practice what to do there.

If the question is how to get the audio from the dictaphone to the Mac, you may have to buy an appropriate audio cable, assuming the dictaphone has an output and your Mac as an imput which is likely. Just plug in the cable into the audio in-line on your mac and use software to record it. You may also need to know if the dictaphone is stereo or not because that may influence the cable used and software recording setting. Acquisition will be in real time. QuickTime Player may have a record function. Audacity is free and I believe records. I'm not sure if that version of iMovie has voice over recording. Type the word voice into the help menu search box.

Use "The Levelator" to balance out the low and high volumes of each recording.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolle View Post
I am making a movie about my family history and have been interviewing my relatives. I have decided that I want to simply use their audio and lay that over various pictures. I can figure that out no problem, but the video files are enormous and eating up my HDD. I have been recording everything on my video camera, but am wondering if I can use a dictaphone.
Simpler: take the existing video footage you have, open it in Quicktime, choose "save audio" and save as (new name) in an audio format like AAC.

Now you can simply drop the audio file (which won't take up much space at all) into iMovie over the pictures.

Quote:
Can I edit in the audio (cut, move, etc.) like I can in iMovie?
It would be better to use a real audio editor. I like Amadeus Pro ($40), but many here would say that Audacity (free) is good enough for the job.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Can I edit in the audio (cut, move, etc.) like I can in iMovie?
Use Audacity ...... Its free and you can get it HERE .....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Cool. Thanks for the tips.

The reason I want to do this is because the video is eating up all the free space on my HDD and I have no more room on my eHDD. Since I only want the audio to accompany photos in the movie why not record the audio only. That way I can cut down on the video being recorded and the space being used on the computer. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Another audio software option maybe GarageBand.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Simpler: take the existing video footage you have, open it in Quicktime, choose "save audio" and save as (new name) in an audio format like AAC.
Good point. Once the OP has done that they can remove the bloated video they don't want and gain considerable disk space back.

I would use AIFF as the codec though. Linear PCM format at 48kHz, 16bit sample size with quality at best and stereo if appropriate. The reason is that the Apple video editing tools seem to like that the best. Save all the audio files to that setting and there shouldn't be any audio sync issues either.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .avi to iDVD (mpeg streamclip) | Motion to website? »