New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Capturing YouTube from Cache?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Littlebit

Littlebit is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me.

I watched a YouTube video in Safari last night and overnight the author deleted it from YouTube. It happened that I didn't close the window it was in though and it was fully loaded into my cache so at this time, until I change the page or close the window (neither of which I've done) I can still view the video.

I'd like to capture it.

I searched on the 'net and tried what I could find, which was this:

"Open the page with the movie and press Command-Option-A, which shows the Activity window. If you're also loading other sites, you'll see a list of them: scroll until you find the YouTube page and click on the arrow to show details about what is being loaded. You will certainly notice an element whose size is over 0.5MB (most of the time, over 5MB). Double-click on it (even if it is still loading), and Safari will download it. When the download is over, navigate to the file in the Finder (which will probably be called get_video) and add the extension .flv to its name. Now you can play it with VLC or with QuickTime."

I got as far as double-clicking on the 32MB element. Safari tries to download it but after a moment my download box says, "You do not have permission to access the request."

Any other way I can save the video from my Safari cache?

Thanks

Macbook Pro, OS X 10.6.4, Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Technically, when you go thru that method, you're actually accessing the activity, and double clicking on that link initiates a new download from the remote location rather then viewing/loading from cache.

Look at this tip:

Save Flash video files from local cache - Mac OS X Hints

But not the tip itself - scroll down into the comments - the tip was pre-leopard, the comments talk about where to look in leopard (and possibly in snow leopard, I don't know ) - but you have to go there prior to rebooting as the folders are cleared on restart.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Littlebit

Thanks, Nethfel. Unfortunately when I try to go to the folder /private/var/folders/ee/, it tells me the folder can't be found.

Crap.

Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Since theses folders are temporary folders they may not always have the same name, go to /private/var/folders/
Navigate into the top folder and onwards till you come to the -TMP- folder and check all of the folders in there for files.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Littlebit

Thanks McYukon...that did get me a little further. Except this is where my computer idiocy starts to come in (I follow directions very well but usually don't know how/what to do things on my own).

I don't know how to do a screen capture from a Finder screen but when I follow your directions, this is what I see when I see anything to do with the inside of the -Tmp- (that's how it's written) folder:

NAME................................DATE MODIFIED...................SIZE.......KIND
com.apple.notify.93.16.........Aug 16, 2010 10:28am.......Zero KB.......--
hsperdata_Sharon...............Aug 17, 2010 10:55pm...........--.........Folder
PreviewTemp-FV177S..........Aug 17, 2010 11:22pm............--........Folder

Under that is also a TemporaryItems folder but there is nothing in it when I click on it.

So with this information, please, what would I have to do next? (BTW, that "Sharon" is my name, is all).
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Ok, I just tested this with a YouTube video.
If you haven't quitted Safari, there should be a file in the TemporaryItems folder called "FlashTmp1", "FlashTmp2" .etc. If not then you can forget it

Copy the "FlashTmp#" file out of the folder to the desktop/.etc and edit its name to read "somename.flv" (the .flv is very important!).
Finder will alert you if you really want to add .flv which we most definitely want to do.
Now you can double click it and it will open in RealPlayer if you have it. Or if you have Perian installed you can quicklook it in the Finder.
Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

And how do I take screenshots in Mac OS X?
http://www.maciverse.com/taking-scre...ps-tricks.html

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Littlebit

Thanks McYukon. Unfortunately, I double-checked and that TemporaryItems folder is empty. Nothing in it at all.

I guess I'm out of luck, then? If so, well, crap. ;-(

But thanks for showing me how to do screen shots ;-) For someone who has owned computers since HS graduation in 1984 (no need to get out the calculators. I'm 44), I know I SHOULD know how to do more of the basic stuff like that but it winds up slipping right by me.

Unless there are any other suggestions, thanks anyway! I appreciate the time you took in trying to help.
QUOTE Thanks
Giovanni S.

Giovanni S. is on a distinguished road

I am sure you have dropped the page since you first asked so it won't help you for the original need. However, this may come in handy later on. I'm not sure if it is possible to capture it the way you are (were) trying to capture it. I know that you could have tried using quicktime player to capture a screen recording and a separate audio recording. You would have to edit the two together to align properly and it would be much more work than just a simple copy like you expected, but you would have your product. Hopefully this could be the fix you need for any later requirements.

Giovanni
QUOTE Thanks
Littlebit

Giovanni, I could not believe that I got another reply to this, 2.5 years after my original question, LOL! Thank-you and, of course, I did drop the page (as well as the computer, LOL) a long time ago. But I will keep your suggestion in mind for the future, should something like that ever come up again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wmv to mov | iMovie slideshow: How to keep large size images from shrinking? »