New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Trouble With .VRO Extension

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Skateyasha

Skateyasha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 inch, OSX 10.6.4

So I had the brilliant idea of recording in SD on my Sony HDR UX1 to try and maximize disk space. The only problem is it recorded to .VRO instead of .m2ts (a file format iMovie 08 can handle/convert upon importing).

After playing around and searching the internet far and wide, I've found very little to help me. I tried using multiple video converters, all had that "old tape" problem where the image keeps pouring down the screen in bars.

I also found out you can just rename the file to a format that a media player will recognize (such as simply renaming it from Video.RVO to Video.mpeg) however this doesn't help me since iMovie still won't recognize the codecs involved. (And still has the old tape problem).

Does anyone know a good converter capable of converting 16:9 VRO to 16:9 anything else? There was one converter I tried which was capable of converting it somewhat smoothly (still not very good), but it didn't convert it with a widescreen format. So the image was squished.

I'm also more than willing to listen to more complicated suggestions than simply using a software. If someone is a Terminal wiz or anything like that, more than happy to hear a method.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

MPEG Streamclip should have no trouble with this, and is free.*

*you MAY require the $30 MPEG-2 component from Apple to make this particular conversion work.
QUOTE Thanks
Skateyasha

Skateyasha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 inch, OSX 10.6.4

MPEG Streamclip was one of the converters I tried, unfortunately it wasn't up to snuff... The one that did end up working was Vaukun or something, but it left a watermark when you only used the trial version.

Edit: Wow... I am retarded. Thanks for making me go back to Streamclip chas. It didn't do anything different for me. It made my sleep-deprived brain think for a second on the fact that the "old tape" effect is no problem of the video or the conversion, just the player I was playing it in. So I am now converting the raw file intelligently, using a converter I purchased a while ago (AVCHD converter), after renaming the VRO file to .ts format. The problem I was having was simply in the software I was using to play the converted video. The codecs were still present of course.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Cool! Glad you got it sorted out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hypercam for Mac? | Imovie 6 problems creating DVD »