New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Transfer Video from "SONATA VOLUME" to MAC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emofarmaceutico

emofarmaceutico is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPad, iPhone, iPod, iMac 24", MacAir, MacBook Pro 13"

Hi everyone,

This topic is top-notch for me, and my head is about to explode.

I have some 20 year old videos, that were passed from tape to digital a few months ago. A friend's friend recorded it into some DVD's, and now I have a bunch of CD's with the name SONATA VOLUME.
- I seem desperate to be able to copy these CD's into my hard drive.

Now, here comes the headbuster.

When you insert the DVD into the mac, you can easily watch the video on the DVD player,.. No problem. But if you try to open the folder in which the DVD's are in,,,, Nothing appears. Literarily, nothing.

I downloaded "Handbrake", because I read somewhere it is a good program to Rip DVD's into hard drive, but it is unable to do so because it says something like: "This is handbrake 64-bit, VLC detected, but not 64bit".

I think SONATA VOLUME is the default name that some SONY program uses to its edited videos.

I think the videos are in .VOB format.
¿What does " sudo open /SONATA VOLUME/VIDEO_TS " mean? Because iv read it somewhere, and I have no clue what it means.

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't know how to explain my problem clearly.

Thanks for reading!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. To fix Handbrake, download the 64-bit Intel build of VLC (in other words, your copy is out of date) and replace the old one with it.

2. Chances are the VOB files are hidden by positioning them off the viewable window when it opens. Scroll bars can be your friend if this is the case.

Handbrake, once the VLC is updated should do the trick. Let us know how you get on.

PS. As for "sudo open blah blah blah," just forget about it. That way madness lies.
QUOTE Thanks
emofarmaceutico

Thanks, ill try it later on my iMac..!
QUOTE Thanks
emofarmaceutico

Perfect. Had no problems.
Then moved it into iMovie and did my first project on that.
Nice result
Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
somegoodsoup

somegoodsoup is on a distinguished road

I am having a similar problem with discs that show up as "Sonata Volume".

I have already tried updating VLC and Handbrake, and have tried the older 64bit versions as well. I've also tried Mactheripper, and a few other software. I have been able to copy the files to my harddrive for playback, but I'm unable to convert them to a form that can be edited in video programs like iMovie.

Any suggestions for getting these files into an editable form?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting .mpg for use in iMovie '11 | Quicktime Pro problem »