New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Confused about imovie file names

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobolu

bobolu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.9.3

Hi - can anyone help me out with understanding some imovie terminology?
I seem to have duplicates of all the clips I've uploaded from my camera. One clip is in
New Event (the date of the event is here)>imovie thumbnails>imovie cache>cache.mov

and then there is a copy in
New Event (the date of the event is here)>imovie cache>cache.mov
- there's no thumbnails folder in that one!

Are both folders necessary? They both take equal amounts of memory and there are a lot of these duplicate pairs. Can I ditch one to save space? If so which?

I also have a number of clips which have just been stored as Cache.mov
What does the Cache bit mean? Also is mov the best format to save on?

A more recent set of clips I've uploaded are also duplicated. This time again it's a case of the thumbnail folder being present with one version and the duplicate not having it. With these clips the one with the imovie thumbnails folder doesn't have a file ending, the one which doesn't have a thumbnails folder has a .dv file ending!

Can anyone explain how and why this has happened and what I can do to simplify things as I have masses of movie files and I can see this becoming unmanageable unless I do a bit of clearing things up!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

First. Do NOT muck with things in the iMovie Events folder. EVER! Second, also don't mess with the iMovie Projects folder. iMovie manages those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolu View Post
Hi - can anyone help me out with understanding some imovie terminology?
I seem to have duplicates of all the clips I've uploaded from my camera. One clip is in
New Event (the date of the event is here)>imovie thumbnails>imovie cache>cache.mov

and then there is a copy in
New Event (the date of the event is here)>imovie cache>cache.mov
- there's no thumbnails folder in that one!

Are both folders necessary? They both take equal amounts of memory and there are a lot of these duplicate pairs. Can I ditch one to save space? If so which?

I also have a number of clips which have just been stored as Cache.mov
What does the Cache bit mean? Also is mov the best format to save on?

A more recent set of clips I've uploaded are also duplicated. This time again it's a case of the thumbnail folder being present with one version and the duplicate not having it. With these clips the one with the imovie thumbnails folder doesn't have a file ending, the one which doesn't have a thumbnails folder has a .dv file ending!

Can anyone explain how and why this has happened and what I can do to simplify things as I have masses of movie files and I can see this becoming unmanageable unless I do a bit of clearing things up!

Thanks
The iMovie Cache folders appear to hold reference files. This is difficult to explain. Basically it is file that describes characteristics of another self contained movie file(s). It looks to me that it is somewhat representative of your project. I'm not absolutely sure about that last sentence as I've just looked at it.

The iMovie Thumbnails folder contains smaller versions of the files involved in your project. This allows for the quick skimming through the video. If you tried that with a full sized video, it would be slow. The files should be smaller in both screen dimension and usage of disk space compared to the file you imported.

I would expect the dv imports to also have thumbnails that end in .dv too.

iMovie 08 & 09 can use other drives for your events and projects. This can be managed by using iMovie via the appropriate drag & drop technique. If you want to move a project of event, I believe the proper way to hold the option key while dragging the icon to the other device. An event or project master folder will be created on the top level of that external drive and the files placed into that. Play with something small to understand this.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
bobolu

bobolu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.9.3

Thanks for your help. I'l try out what you suggested and leave well alone with the folders.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac and Final CutStudio Please help with query on jerky video | I need a DVD ripping program for Mac »