New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Could anyone offer some advice please :-)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slimmy20

slimmy20 is on a distinguished road

Hello there,

I've been looking into learning video editing software recently and was wondering if anyone could advise me on what was better to use; either Final Cut Pro or Premiere and After Effects? I've looked around on the net at the debate of 'Final cut Pro vs Adobe premiere' and are still none the wiser on which to pursue. I've got a mac with cs5 master collection installed so I know this must sound crazy that I am thinking of learning Final Cut Pro. I guess what I don't want to do is learn software which isn't the industry standard?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Regards
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't After Effects more about just the "special effects" added to a movie? I think Final Cut is more for digitizing the video off the camera and editing it together from the raw footage.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

The question is what is the industry standard?

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Yea +1 and to add to it, i believe its a personal choice in what YOU want to use. Dont be a sheep and follow .....

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmy20 View Post
I've got a mac with cs5 master collection installed so I know this must sound crazy that I am thinking of learning Final Cut Pro. I guess what I don't want to do is learn software which isn't the industry standard?
There is no one industry standard. Indeed, there are several top contenders in the professional video-editing market including Avid Media Composer in addition to Final Cut Studio and Adobe Premiere Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't After Effects more about just the "special effects" added to a movie?
You're right; the OP *probably* meant to say "Adobe Premiere Pro," which is their video-editing software for the Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
See above. Final Cut seems to be the "rising star," enjoying very wide popularity with both television and movie editors, but the older established brands like Avid and Adobe Premiere have their fans as well.

I don't use pro video-editing software for a living, so I don't feel qualified to pass judgement on them.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

All three are used by productions companies. Avid and Adobe have been around longer so you'll probably find more pro's who use it, but Final Cut Pro is fast becoming the industry standard and more and more editors are using it. I prefer FCP simply because it works well on my Mac and is "Apple-y", but from what I can tell they all work very similarly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual, simultaneous full screen QT with 2 projectors for 3D video? | New to Mac and Final CutStudio Please help with query on jerky video »