New to Mac and Final CutStudio Please help with query on jerky video
    Hi

I've owned an iMac for about five weeks. Its my first Mac after many years of PC. (Sorry!!)

I bought the Mac to get into FCP editing after using Adobe Premier for a long while. I went for the iMac and the specs are 3.06 ghz processor, 4GB RAM and the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB RAM
    from the About this Mac:
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0609
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3234
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

After successfully installing the Studio 3 software, I loaded some 1080i footage shot on XD Cam from a Sony EX3

For a while all was well and I began trimming down the footage and crudely assembling a rough firstedit.

Then the footage in the canvas window began to play rather eratically - like it was running at 10 FPS. As yet I have not rendered the video its straight off an external drive into the program

Is this normal? Will thefootage out put OK? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help gladly received

mark

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Hi!

Welcome to the forums!

We're going to need some more information to help you out here like:

Where are you storing your footage for scratch? You mention the video "straight off" an external drive into the program but how do you have everything setup.

Are you using a USB or a firewire drive?

What are your clip settings?

What are your sequence settings? (I assume it matches the clips)

Did you get a warning popping up that stated that it couldn't continue to play in real time?

You mentioned that you hadn't rendered, are there any indications on the sequence that it requires rendering?

Have you tried exporting a small portion of your sequence that is "jerky" during playback to see if the final product is actually jerky (depending on export settings and bitrate, you may need to transcode anyway to get smoother playback)?

Although it's an older blog - this has some interesting information about EX-3 workflow suggestions: Sony EX-1/EX-3 and Final Cut Pro, What’s Your Workflow? : SuiteTake.com
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Hi Nethfel - thanks please see below

Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    Hi!

Where are you storing your footage for scratch? You mention the video "straight off" an external drive into the program but how do you have everything setup. ****I have dragged the files from the drive to the desk top and/or imported them directly to FCP depending on the format. From the Sony EX3 I dragged them initially to FCE and had to use Handbrake as it did not recognise the codec, for FCP its dragged straight to the scratch folder as "Import"

Are you using a USB or a firewire drive? ****USB

What are your clip settings?***** PAss - please expand?

What are your sequence settings? (I assume it matches the clips) ****Yes

Did you get a warning popping up that stated that it couldn't continue to play in real time?*****No

You mentioned that you hadn't rendered, are there any indications on the sequence that it requires rendering? *****No it is green at the top

Have you tried exporting a small portion of your sequence that is "jerky" during playback to see if the final product is actually jerky (depending on export settings and bitrate, you may need to transcode anyway to get smoother playback)? ***Again I haven't done this as I am new to the system and probably need to play before I complain

Although it's an older blog - this has some interesting information about EX-3 workflow suggestions: Sony EX-1/EX-3 and Final Cut Pro, What’s Your Workflow? : SuiteTake.com *****GREAT THANKS

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    My guess would be that the video isn't playing in real time and needs to be rendered or your scratch disk is too slow to read off of. But it's hard to say without knowing what your capture and sequence settings are.

Thread Information