New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Problem with FCE

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jLeemify

jLeemify is on a distinguished road

I'm having some problems importing files into FCE. I record footage from my television using an HD-PVR video device and then export that file in an H.264 format. The file then shows as an M-PEG 4 movie with codecs as H.264, AAC. I then try and import the file into FCE and I get an error message that says "1 files recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown". Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Yeah, importing / editing H.264 files in FCE can be interesting.

I'd suggest getting mpegstreamclip and convert the mp4 into an Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) .mov - from there, you should be able to take that file and import it into the project without problems.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
jLeemify

Yeah I just got this little program today, I thought it might help. But I was waiting for the proper guidance as to how to use it. I'm guessing I would choose the "Export using Quicktime" option and then in the compression list I would choose Apple Intermediate Codec? Are there any additional settings that I should look at?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I don't have to transcode too much into AIC, but when I do usually I just set:

Export to Quicktime
Compression: Apple Intermediate Codec
Quality: 100% (this may even be irrelevant for AIC, I'm not sure)
Frame size: unscaled
Frame rate: either blank or the frame rate of the source material - sometimes you have to put in the frame rate as it may "guess" wrong - easy to spot after conversion as audio goes out of sync and/or playback just doesn't look right
Interlaced Scaling: depends on source, if progressive uncheck.
Sound: uncompressed, stereo, auto

Make movie

and you should be good to go.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
jLeemify

Thank you sir! Everything is working smoothly and I'm off to editing my footage! The encode took about 20 minutes but thats no big deal I guess. Now I can start editing my clips and stuff like that! Thank you for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sony DCR-TRV25 miniDV suggestions? | Multiplexor error iDVD »