New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Xbox 360 to Macbook Capture Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xcoldbloodxc

xcoldbloodxc is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I am looking for a capture card that I could use to record from my xbox 360 to my Macbook so that I could edit and possibly upload to youtube.
My price range is relatively low($200 max).
My hardware on my macbook is the late 2008 aluminum 2.4 GHz and 250 GB hard drive. Other info here MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) - Technical Specifications
If you need anymore info feel free to ask.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jLeemify

jLeemify is on a distinguished road

Your best bet is the Hauppauge HD PVR. Its fully compatible with the Xbox 360. Its an HD recording device. I own one myself and have had very good results. It's $200 and definetly worth it. You can even upload to youtube in HD. Since you are running on a mac though you will need another piece of software called EyeTV which is about $60. The HD PVR is PC based but this software allows you to use it very smoothly. I'll put links for the recording device, software, and my youtube channel so that you can see the quality of it.

Hauppauge HD PVR:
HD PVR Product overview

EyeTVsoftware:
overview

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jLeemify
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Another option if you get the HDPVR is to get this software for capturing: steventoth.net HDPVR Capture - the current version was just released in April of this year. It works fairly well.

Of course, you're going to want to play the game watching on a TV rather then the computer tho as there is lag time between capture and display on the computer (with Elgato software or with HDPVR Capture) - Elgato also does have an HD capture device like the HDPVR - I've never used it tho (I just happen to see it at an Apple store a few weeks ago).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
jLeemify

jLeemify is on a distinguished road

I have tried HD PVR Capture. It is a decent program but EyeTV works much smoother. HD PVR Capture did not recognize my device at first and I ran into a few problems configuring it. EyeTV easily recognized my device and automatically made the correct settings. The workflow with EyeTV is much easier as well. It may be more pricey, but it is more quality.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, that's odd - it recognized mine right off the bat

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xcoldbloodxc

Thanks guys,
Anybody have any other suggestions? Possibly one I could pick up in-store from best buy or radioshack?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Do you have an Apple Store somewhere nearby? If you do - you can probably check out the Elgato HD capture device (at least they had it at the store in my area)

QUOTE Thanks
xcoldbloodxc

Yes i have an apple store and a macmall near me so I will look into that also.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Elgato HD and the Elgato Pro cards are very good. My friend has one, and it works seamlessly with no issues at all, good resolution too.
QUOTE Thanks
xcoldbloodxc

How to Connect a Computer to a Verizon Cable Box | eHow.com
Could this be a good way to record also? I have a Verizon Fios cable box and if this does work, what DVC should I use, I want to stay at low price for this one( below $120)
Are there any other ways to record also such as Elgato Hybrid USB or Dazzle? Or using an application on my mac? I am sort of new to this, but I am just looking for the easiest/cheapest/best quality way to record audio and video from my xbox 360 to my mac.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AverMedia HD DVR Software for Mac? | camcorder compatibility for video downloading/editing »