New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tink399

tink399 is on a distinguished road

I have a brand new Canon VIXIA HF M31 camcorder that I used over the weekend this is the first time I had used the camcorder. When I came home I tried to download the clips into Final Cut Express 4 but was unable to. I used the log in and transfer option but nothing happens. The files the best I can tell is .mts format. If this is the wrong format what do I need to do?

Does anyone know if you can change the format in the camcorder other then .mts?

Does Final Cut Express 4 support the Canon Vixia HF M31?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will come along.

But as a tip, using descriptive subjects and titles rather than "help" will get you an answer more quickly since people will know exactly what you need.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

What EXACTLY did you do? Did you try to import the mts files directly?

Log and Transfer handles the conversion BUT you can't take the files out of the AVCHD hierarchy that's stored on the SDHC card (or hard drive if the M31 has that - I don't know the model off hand).

You should be able to just hook up the camera so it appears as a hard drive on your system (or if the cam takes an SD card, put the card into an SD reader connected to (or in if you have a MBP) your computer) and in FCE open log and transfer and it should locate your files. It may take a bit of time depending on how many and how long the clips are for it to appear.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
tink399

I open up final Cut Express 4 went to log and transfer and the clips show up but when I click on the send to que button they do not add to que. I tried using both my card reader and the camcorder itself. Yes when I hook up both the card reader and the camcorder they do show up in finder as they should.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Can you record a short, say <1min video so it's the only thing on the card, then zip the private folder and make it available for download? I don't have a system in front of me with FCE installed (I'm at work atm) but I'd be happy to try at home to see if I get different results.

What mode did you record in? 60i? 24p (over 60i) or 30p (over 60i)? What kind of Mac do you have (intel or ppc)? Is your FCE updated (I think the current version is 4.01 or something like that)? The camera should work fine with FCE - especially if you recorded your material in 60i.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
tink399

I recorded in 60i mxp mode a new mac book pro intel core duo 2.8 4 gigs of memory 320 hardrive. I'm using a iomega external hard drive as my scratch disc. Yes it is update.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« newbie help | I-Movie - Space Saver »