New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

newbie help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scorpiofc

scorpiofc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15inch

hi all,

i'm new to a mac and also to these forums. I have an old sony camcorder, model no:CCD-TR748E and i'm looking to get the video off it and onto my mac to have a play with imovie, only problem is i dont know how, all the instruction say is how to get it to link to a vcr?

any help would be much appreciated!!

cheers
paul
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hi!

You've got an older camera there that records to tape and (unless I found the wrong manual) doesn't have Firewire. You'll need a video capture device to be able to capture the footage.

Something like:

Elgato Video Capture

You'd connect the video and audio out of the camcorder into something like the Elgato Video Capture product and play on the camcorder and set the software to record. Once it's done the video file will be on your computer ready for you to use.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
scorpiofc

scorpiofc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15inch

cheers for that, i've had a butchers though and its bloody expensive for what it is, plus i only have around 3 tapes that need transferring over (never used it that much!!) any chance anyone knows of a cheaper way??
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you only have three tapes that need transferring, I'd see if there are any video duplication services in town that will do that for you. You'll get better results that way anyway, since they use much more professional-level equipment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« joining zipped movie segments | Help »