New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

For Basic Professional Video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trust001

Trust001 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone!

I need to do some video work for a client and decided to buy a setup to work on videos.

I usually don't do video, but if the need arises I offer my help. I'm just curious what people think would be the best route to go, I was thinking Final Cut Express and some version of After Effects or something.

I have never used After Effects but if its industry standard then I supposed I could learn it.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That's kind of a loaded question - what do you plan to do with editing video? Do you need DVD authoring software beyond iDVD? Why do you want After Effects? What are your targets for the video? What are your expected import formats for video (ie: AVCHD? 1080i? 1080p? 720p? do you need to do 24p and 30p? do you plan on working with footage from high end professional gear (like P2 or maybe digibeta or something along those lines)? What kind of Mac do you have (assuming you have one, and if you don't what is within your shopping budget)? Also how much memory does your Mac have? Do you need advanced color correction capability? Do you need advanced soundtrack editing?

You really will need to think about your needs before a quality answer can be given. Can FCE work for "basic professional video"? Sure. Is it right for what you need? No idea.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm focusing on the thread title..."Basic Professional Video". Is there really such as thing?

There's:

- "basic video" which might require one sort of software/hardware setup

...and then there's:

- "professional video" which would probably require a completely different software/hardware setup

But..."basic professional video"...that might be slicing things a little thin from a computing standpoint.

I guess what would help is...what sort of computer setup do you have (what are your computers specs)?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!! Deleted iMovie Project in error!! | Creating Photo's from DVD video »