New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Stupidly overwritten a file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

face777

face777 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Im in need of help. Today as i was working on After effects cs4 and i stupidly exported my clip with the same name as i brought it in with.

eg. I was working on the clip "Oakwell extra" and i exported as "Oakwell extra", ofc this immediately overwrite the file and i got the media offline bars instead of the clip. resulting in a clip of bars with the effects over the top.

is there anyway i can get back the original file "Oakwell extra"?

Unfortunately im not using time machine

i may be able to open another ae project from the original source footage with a similar effect that can be adapted. But i get the error message

"After Effects error: reading from file "Projectname.aep" - disk error (I/O error;bad media) (-36)

( 3 :: 6 )"

i have tried to move this file from my external HD onto my mac, but it doesn't open still.

any ideas? at all?
thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It is strange that when saving/exporting a new file as the same name of an existing file you didn't get some sort of a warning that you were overwriting an existing file? If you did and hit overwrite anyway...with no time machine or other backup, not sure how you'd get back to the original file..

Rgards
QUOTE Thanks
face777

yeah i got the warning, but i wasn't concentrating and clicked on "ok". then realized what id done and clicked cancel but it was too late.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Aww shucks..without a backup of the original..there really is no way of getting it back..sorry..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
face777

just to update you. i actually managed to find a original file in my fcp render files. lucky lol.

thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Oh..good for you..I'm sure you'll think a dozen times about hitting YES to the next overwrite window you get..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to speed up a .mov file in iMovie '09? | DVD screengrabs »