New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Taking films from my mac to my television

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickjackman

nickjackman is on a distinguished road

I want to change AVI files to a format that I can burn to a dvd disc and watch on my TV. Please.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Try Burn

Burn - Home

Can you play those AVI files through Quicktime? If not they will need to be playable first

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Also, you might consider some other options. Burning discs can be not only time consuming, but costly after a while, and not only that but, you'll be clogging up more space with discs all over the place. That's so mid 90's !

What kind of TV do you own ? Most modern flat screen sets and even modern DVD players have an USB input which can be used for playback of AVI and some Mp4 files. I have an external HD hooked up directly to my LG TV and it plays MP4 and AVI files in great quality.

Another option is to simply hook your computer up to the tv and play the files through it. I have done this before, but have used it to play seasons of LOST on Netflix and Hulu.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There are three solutions to this problem that I recommend. Take your pick whichever one works for you.

1. Use a program like VisualHub to convert AVI files to DVD format, then burn a DVD. Works fine for SD videos, just very time-consuming.

2. Buy a DVD player that can play DivX/XviD files burned straight onto an ISO disc. No conversion time, no fancy menus but works great, and up to 12 hours on a single DVD. Again, terrific for SD videos.

3. Buy an Apple TV. You have to convert your videos to MP4, but apart from that they just stream wirelessly over to your TV. Works with HD video as well as SD (up to 1080i). Apple TV is the most expensive of the options ($200ish) but does a lot of other awesome things as well. Everyone I know who owns one (and that's a fair number of people once they see mine in action) absolutely loves theirs. Can even be "hacked" to play AVIs et al without conversion if needed. If your time is worth anything, $200ish is really not a lot to pay for a really enjoyable and hassle-free setup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems playing FCP-made .mov files in Windows computers | HD YouTube Vid with iSight and iMovie ? »