New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HD YouTube Vid with iSight and iMovie ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ciwan

Ciwan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard

Hello Guys

I have just recorded a video and I want to upload it to YouTube. I was hoping with iMacs being so Advanced .. I will be able to do the Video in 720 HD at least !

Is that in any way possible ? I tried following this guy's Tutorial. But when I go to Share and Export Movie .. the HD selection is greyed out.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

"Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Anyone ? !

By the way I have changed the thread title for this post, it the old one still shows .. I don't know why !

What I meant was the webcam that is built into the iMac 27"

Thank You.

"Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

As far as I know, the built in iSights only record 640x480 video which is SD (standard definition). I couldn't find any mention on Apple's site what the specs are for iSight. It's as if they are hiding that information.

To get an HD export of SD material, use the "Export Using QuickTime..." option mentioned in that link. He mentions it after 2:40 on the time line. The HD YT option appeared for him earlier in the video because his project is HD.

Note that exporting SD to HD isn't recommended without good reason. You'll likely see pixelization which will not present your material in its best light.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

I'm disappointed !

I expected such a highly priced machine to be able to record HD quality !!

So where do I go from here ? How Do I record HD on my iMac ?

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

The easiest way is to go and buy an HD camcorder, record your bit, then import it into iMovie (or other editor), then do your edits. You don't have to get anything new, a used camcorder like a Canon HF100 or HF10 or if you prefer to record to tape (instead of recording to solid state media) the HV20 or HV40.

I honestly don't know of any laptops or devices that have built in HD webcams (not saying there aren't any; just don't know of any off hand aside from the possible very expensive high end gaming laptop). I know there are some external HD webcams made by Logitech and Microsoft (limited to 1280x720), but webcams were originally used for communicating with other people via streaming video and/or sending short video clips and HD video requires a lot of bandwidth to maintain real time if you want it to look good (and sending HD footage via email isn't very practical either as most peoples emails are limited to between 5 and 10 megs in a single message) so I'm sure it's a low priority for most computer manufacturers.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

I only wanted it for YouTube.

With what you're saying above it is a lot of hassle !

I have a Canon 500D that is capable of recording 720 and 1080 HD, but it is too much work setting up the thing (tripod adjustments ..etc) and then uploading it (need to find the cable since I have not used that for ages).

Anyhow thanks for the help.

Ciwan

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

It's really not as bad as it sounds.

Yes, setting it up to aim at you just right might be a pain initially, but just as it might be a pain sitting just right to get a good angle with a webcam. Transferring it from your camera to your computer is easy, just get a cheap multi format card reader that connects to a usb port, take the card out of the camera and plunk it into the card reader. You should then have access to the video.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
skypark

skypark is on a distinguished road

Get your self a Flip mino HD
Your going to be able to shoot a lot more video instead of sitting just in front of your Mac. I use the Flip and love it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Taking films from my mac to my television | Burning HD Video using iDVD »