New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How to Recreate This Video On a Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RJVett

RJVett is on a distinguished road

I made a timeline a few years ago and I like to keep it updated (its something nice to look back on).

But I just switched over to Mac, and I can't take the file with me from my windows, so I want to recreate it on my Mac, and make it better than ever! (It was previously made on Windows Movie Maker, and IMO considering I was using movie maker, it came out pretty good)

But I'm unsure of what program to use, I have Final Cut Express 4, but all my video is made up of is still pictures, text, and video transitions...and none of the programs I have seem to be too good with text (there's only 5 boring text animations).

Here's my video to help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

1992-2009 Timeline from RJVetter831 on Motionbox
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

If you still have all the raw files (audio, pictures) you used in the video, you should easily be able to re-create it. You won't need Final Cut for that kind of stuff, iMovie is sufficient. What version of iLife do you have? (I am assuming the newest version since you recently switched?)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iMovie is already on your Mac and will do most of this easily. Different, but ultimately better.
QUOTE Thanks
RJVett

RJVett is on a distinguished road

I'm notsure how though, it only has like 4 text transitions and seems kind of boring, but I ahve the newest MAcbook Pro and do have all the audio and pictures.

Although I might remake the entire thing and get entirely new pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Importing the actual footage and images shouldn't be a problem, but things like transitions and effects will not transfer over into iMovie as far as I know.

Also, keep in mind that iMovie is VERY different from Windows Movie Maker. Be prepared to learn how to use it first. Here is a page of brief tutorials:

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

If I were you, I'd start previewing them now so you aren't caught off guard when you finally get started.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

You already have Final Cut Express - IMHO is to use it instead of iMovie. For one thing, it's sequence based (AKA timeline) which would be similar to Movie Maker (as movie maker uses a timeline. FCE allows for multiple layered video tracks tho). Scrolling titles similar to what you had in that other video can be done with a little bit of thought to it.

For example - the one where there are multiple of the same title with different levels of transparency and different directions/speeds of scrolling (ie: 1992, 1995, etc.).

Just have a different video layer for each speed/direction and use motion settings to move the viewable text across the screen for the given length of time. Use alpha levels to change the transparency of each layer of text.

Anything that appears on, scrolling across, fades in/out, etc. is easy in FCE. The beginning titles are just stills of text with the text slightly offset to give an attempted drop shadow appearance (might want to change the shifted text color, kinda looks more out of focus then a drop shadow IMHO). The title that was like 1992 - 2009 timeline might be a little more challenging (you'd probably need to do two titles, the solid one that stops at it's point and then some how an outline version that keeps zooming till it goes completely out of frame.

People who use iMovie would probably find solutions in iMovie - I use FCE and FCP more often so that's where I tend to see the solutions

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I really need help choosing a Mac to edit 1080p iMovies | Question regarding WHY mp4's won't work on my... »