New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

MKV file help (1080p movie)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PsychologyGuy

PsychologyGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Duo 4 GB Ram

Hey guys, I have a mkv 1080p, about 12gb movie file that I would like to be able to watch on my tv here at home (1080i). I was wondering if it would be a possibility to burn this movie onto a dvd by converting to a compatible format or something or if it would just be much more simple to buy a mini port adapter so that I can just hook up my mac straight to the tv.
Thanks

2010 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB Ram (First Mac and I love it!)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Buy the adapter and save yourself possible headaches. That file won't even fit on DL media without some form of compression. Now if you had a Blue Ray burner....

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
PsychologyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Buy the adapter and save yourself possible headaches. That file won't even fit on DL media without some form of compression. Now if you had a Blue Ray burner....

Regards.
ahhh blue ray burner would be nice but...$$ I think I might just go ahead and get the adapter. I've found some on ebay. In your opinion, do you think the quality would be good compared to if I would go to apple.com and buy one?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would suggest monoprice.com or amazon instead of ebay for practically all your cable needs.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

monoprice.com makes awesome adapters and cables that are really inexpensive. You might want to check them out. I buy from them all the time.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Which MBP do you have? the 13" with the 320m or the 15" with the 330M?

If you have the 13", with that level of a file - if you don't have it, get Plex, and look thru the plex Blog and get the binary replacement that has hardware decoding (there are instructions on where in the app package to replace the existing file - it's a release from one of the devs to kind of show us all where they're heading with playback capabilities). They've done a really nice job with it using hardware acceleration on H.264 video; even video contained in mkv files. I don't see my 2GHz mini with a 9400m exceed about 60% (on a max of 200% if both cores in full use) with 1080p footage @30-35mbps with smooth playback.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
PsychologyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I would suggest monoprice.com or amazon instead of ebay for practically all your cable needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
monoprice.com makes awesome adapters and cables that are really inexpensive. You might want to check them out. I buy from them all the time.
thanks, I'll check it out.

QUOTE Thanks
PsychologyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Which MBP do you have? the 13" with the 320m or the 15" with the 330M?

If you have the 13", with that level of a file - if you don't have it, get Plex, and look thru the plex Blog and get the binary replacement that has hardware decoding (there are instructions on where in the app package to replace the existing file - it's a release from one of the devs to kind of show us all where they're heading with playback capabilities). They've done a really nice job with it using hardware acceleration on H.264 video; even video contained in mkv files. I don't see my 2GHz mini with a 9400m exceed about 60% (on a max of 200% if both cores in full use) with 1080p footage @30-35mbps with smooth playback.
what is that? The movie plays fine on my mac as is- why do I need that? Just asking, don't mean to sound rude.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Well, you may not need it. But, depending on how you play back, it may be using a lot of CPU power to do the playback. On some systems as bitrates get very high in video it can cause dropped frames and not-so-fluid playback causing annoying stutters. Personally I prefer hardware H.264 video decoding (in the case of playback on the computer, this means using the video card to decode and render the H.264 compressed material) as it tends to offer smooth playback even at extremely high bitrates. Software decoding tends to utilize a lot of CPU power depending on the source material and some people prefer to offload that work to the GPU if possible.

If you're not having a problem with stuttering then you don't need it, if you find that your video seems to have hiccups or stutters during playback then you need a way to use hardware acceleration.

Unless things changed in 10.6.4 that was just released, quicktime only does hardware acceleration on MP4/M4V/MOV that has H.264 video in it, which means other containers don't benefit from hardware decoding.

Here's a tidbit on hardware decoding: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
PsychologyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Well, you may not need it. But, depending on how you play back, it may be using a lot of CPU power to do the playback. On some systems as bitrates get very high in video it can cause dropped frames and not-so-fluid playback causing annoying stutters. Personally I prefer hardware H.264 video decoding (in the case of playback on the computer, this means using the video card to decode and render the H.264 compressed material) as it tends to offer smooth playback even at extremely high bitrates. Software decoding tends to utilize a lot of CPU power depending on the source material and some people prefer to offload that work to the GPU if possible.

If you're not having a problem with stuttering then you don't need it, if you find that your video seems to have hiccups or stutters during playback then you need a way to use hardware acceleration.

Unless things changed in 10.6.4 that was just released, quicktime only does hardware acceleration on MP4/M4V/MOV that has H.264 video in it, which means other containers don't benefit from hardware decoding.

Here's a tidbit on hardware decoding: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
oh I see, I'll keep that in mind if I ever see my video become choppy. Thanks for the suggestion.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ISO file conversion to MP4 files | Downloadhelper won't download the whole video »