New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

mac+fcp=cheap

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrisjackson

chrisjackson is on a distinguished road

i need a cheap set up to exclusively run final cut pro, i was thinking about getting a mac mini with an external hardrive and hopefully that will do the job. does anyone know if that will be good enough? or have any other advice on a cheap way to do this. thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Depending on the nature of the editing you're doing, and the nature of your source material, a Mac mini may be more then enough.

A key is tho you need to use a modern Mac mini with a 9400m or better graphics chipset in it - the intel GMA chipsets are not supported and require workarounds to even install the software

I say *may* be because a lot depends on what you're working with etc.

I know I have edited on a Mac mini (the Mac mini that is now my home theater Mac); footage from a Canon HF100 (AVCHD, 17mbps avg data rate) transcoded into ProRES422 and it worked fine (I didn't use more then a couple of simultaneous video streams and depending on what effects I wanted sometimes I did have to deal with rendering) using a FW800 external drive for scratch.

Some functionality in Color will not work, if you use footage from cameras that have extremely high bitrates (a lot higher then the 20-24mbps on consumer camcorders) you may exceed your systems capabilities, motion projects may be limited on complexity and length.

I would also stay away from ProRES 444. You might want to use ProRES 422 Proxy or ProRES 422 LT for better performance on a mini tho. Here's a little blurp about the ProRES versions:

Apple - Final Cut Studio - Final Cut Pro 7 - Expanded ProRes

And if you notice under Proxy they refer to editing on a Macbook or MBP - the current mini is really about the same capabilities level of a the Macbook back when they wrote that (both machines had 9400m graphics, cpu close to the same (within a few hundred MHz), etc. - now the two machines are a little more separate as the gpu in the laptop is much more powerful then in the mini currently).
There are some nay-sayers that state that it won't work, but in all honesty, it does.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
chrisjackson

chrisjackson is on a distinguished road

thanks buddy, i appreciate that, in all honesty you lost me on some of the technical stuff, but ima do my research, thanks again for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Youtube problems!!!! | I need help backing up my DVDs on my MacBook Pro »