New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

ISO file conversion to MP4 files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gangsta273

Gangsta273 is on a distinguished road

I'm only a few weeks in with a new imac and am loving every bit of it so far.

I am confused about how to convert ISO files into MP4 files. I have done a bit of research and appreciate that an ISO file is just a picture file and believe that you need to buy software to be able to extract the necessary files to be able to convert to MP4 so i can watch on my ipod touch. I currently have a rake of films in ISO format on an external hard drive and am dying to get them extracted and converted to MP4.

I am also confused as to what is the best software in terms of ease of use and speed (i'm far from a techno expert so find that the easier the better). I recently downloaded another app (mod's note: removed name) which converts avi files just fine but isn't having anything to do with changing iso files (I presume as it need the extracted files)

Am i trying to do the impossible - What is the best software that will do the job and run on the imac - Happy to pay but don't really want to pay a fortune for unnecessary options that I would never use.

Can anyone help - remember guys - keep it simple

Cheers Gangsta273
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

THere are 2 parts to this one

1. an ISO file is a disk image, typically an image of a DVD. Firstly you have to mount that image as a disk, Disk Utility (in Application > Utilities) can mount a disk image. It will appear on your desktop as if you had inserted a DVD in your drive.

2. To convert what is on the disk to a file you can watch in Quicktime, or load on your iPod or iPhone then the free app Handbrake can convert to many common video formats, including presets for the 2 devices I just mentioned.

HandBrake

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The app you mentioned is promoted by spammers. Since your request might be legit, I haven't deleted this post, but please don't mention them again.

Oh and avoid the software.
QUOTE Thanks
Gangsta273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
The app you mentioned is promoted by spammers. Since your request might be legit, I haven't deleted this post, but please don't mention them again.

Oh and avoid the software.
This is definitely a legit request by myself

Didn't manage to do the even the first step

Could still do with help on this one
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As louishen mentioned, ISO files are disk images and can be mounted with Disk Utility. In fact, you shouldn't even need DU as the image should mount when you double click it. What happens when you double click the ISO?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gangsta273

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
As louishen mentioned, ISO files are disk images and can be mounted with Disk Utility. In fact, you shouldn't even need DU as the image should mount when you double click it. What happens when you double click the ISO?
It just opens the file in VLC Media. What I would like to do is somehow convert the ISO file to MP4 to play on my ipod touch - I thought i needed to extract the contents of the ISO file some how thats what I'm struggling with
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Double click the ISO so it mounts - if for some reason double clicking the ISO is bringing up VLC (which is weird); right click on the ISO, select Get Info, a window will appear and a section is labeled Open With - select DiskImageMounter and then click Change All - it should no longer autolaunch VLC if you double click an ISO - now it should appear on your desktop as another drive. Get Handbrake, run Handbrake, click on the Source button, navigate to the mounted ISO, click open/ok it will scan for video tracks. Make sure the track you want to transcode is the one listed in the dropdowns (usually, if there is one item per disc iso it would be the longest entry). Set your output specifications - easiest way is to select a preset for playback on iPhone/iPod Touch make sure it is set to save to a location you can find with a file name that makes sense to you (it will either have an mp4 or m4v extension - either should be ok) then click start.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Gangsta273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Double click the ISO so it mounts - if for some reason double clicking the ISO is bringing up VLC (which is weird); right click on the ISO, select Get Info, a window will appear and a section is labeled Open With - select DiskImageMounter and then click Change All - it should no longer autolaunch VLC if you double click an ISO - now it should appear on your desktop as another drive. Get Handbrake, run Handbrake, click on the Source button, navigate to the mounted ISO, click open/ok it will scan for video tracks. Make sure the track you want to transcode is the one listed in the dropdowns (usually, if there is one item per disc iso it would be the longest entry). Set your output specifications - easiest way is to select a preset for playback on iPhone/iPod Touch make sure it is set to save to a location you can find with a file name that makes sense to you (it will either have an mp4 or m4v extension - either should be ok) then click start.
Excellent did the first part and it opened up the fils as .vob type then just dragged them into (REDACTED) and started converted

Now all I need to do is learn how to to make 4 separate parts of the video into one file - Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

MPEG Streamclip can join video, if you use its batch list feature

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

DON't USE XILISOFT. There is no need for it. For one thing it's more spam ware then legit software, and if you read Aptmunich's post, you'd see he removed the name from your original post and why.
Don't drag the VOBs out or do anything with them.

Just get Handbrake and in source point it to the mounted iso - it will make your life easy in terms of converting.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Where are these ISO's from? What kinds of Movies are they?
QUOTE Thanks
rxorlando

rxorlando is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP i7/500Gb/4Gb/15inch

I have program files given to me in ISO format - how do I mount and use these files?

New to MAcbook Pro i7 since May 2010
QUOTE Thanks
rxorlando

rxorlando is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP i7/500Gb/4Gb/15inch

I have just found that a free downloadable program called AnyToIso works great at converting ISO files to useable files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMovie | MKV file help (1080p movie) »