New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

For film people... (camera question)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitetar

whitetar is on a distinguished road

was wondering if any of your editors on this board can recommend a high quality digital camera for filming?

looking to spend up to 2k.

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

What sorts of specs are you wanting? Are you looking for a Camcorder or a dSLR that can do video? What resolutions and framerates do you want/need? Do you need a camera with low light performance? How much do you want manual control and over what features? Are you looking new and/or used? Do you have a preferred storage format (ie: HDV, HDCam, SD, HD, P2, etc.?) Do you have external mics? if you do, what kind of connections do they require (I assume XLR, but there are some that have stereo mini connectors on them)? Assuming you're doing your own editing, what software do you plan to use?

Need a bit more information before quality advice can be offered... There are plenty of great cameras out there, but more data on your needs would help weed out cameras that might not be exactly what you need.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

You say for "film" people, and then mention digital in the same breath. I won't assume anything but what do you really mean? You can easily spend as much on a film camera as on an DSLR.

What are your needs ? What level of photographer are you ? What will you be shooting ? What do you hope to be shooting later on, if you're not doing so now ? All of these things are relevant to the end purpose.

If you're a beginner, I'd tell you to not be so quick to spend $2k, that's first off. I don't care if you have $30K to spend, it's not going to make you a good photographer if you're not one already. I'm already kind of guessing that you're not a pro, else you'd not be asking the question that you are.

That said, there are plenty of great deals to be had on lower priced DSLR's which will let you spend your money on better things such as glass (which is more important than a camera body in mostly all cases for even an intermediate photog level) and let you worry about better things such as how to master your craft (ie; composition, framing, lighting, subject interest, how to achieve proper exposure and UNDERSTANDING how exposure works in respect to aperture, shutter speed and ISO rating).

Believe me, people whom only worry about gear and are less concerned with the outcome of their shots usually wind up spending just as much time post processing their crappy photos because they couldn't get it right the first time around. I learned a heck of a lot by using an Canon S3IS which is a 'bridge' camera of sorts. Has full manual exposure control, which is what helped me learn a LOT. When I finally couldn't do any more with it, because it IS limiting, I moved on to an Nikon D300.

I decided on it after having used several significantly higher priced Canon's due to personal choice. Price wasn't one of them. That was a couple of years ago. And now, I'm ready to move a bit further, and go on to using a full frame sensor. The D700 fits my needs exceedingly well, but am waiting to see if Nikon releases its successor soon.

In any case, you should answer the questions I asked, as those things will help others assist you in a decision.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

to the OP - Also keep in mind - Doug_b is assuming your looking for photographic gear, where I'm assuming you're looking for video gear - that's another thing you need to clarify. Plus if it is photography instead of video you probably should get your question moved to: Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography - Mac-Forums.com which focuses on photographic gear

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Gozer

Gozer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano

I just got the Canon EOS 7D for about 2k with a 18-135 lens from B and H.

You're going to need multiple batteries and mem cards. Also, the onboard audio isn't fantastic so I got a Zoom H4n handy recorder to go with it (~$300).

Quality is awesome! If you want to see output of the camera, search vimeo for movies made with the 7D...they look great.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
to the OP - Also keep in mind - Doug_b is assuming your looking for photographic gear, where I'm assuming you're looking for video gear - that's another thing you need to clarify.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

ROFL, great homer pic!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with video quality on made dvd | OH EMM GEE!!! (.MOV Files) »