New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

All of the sudden, iMovie won't recognize camcorder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewAppleMacGuy

NewAppleMacGuy is on a distinguished road

iMovie '08 has been able to connect to my Sony camcorder without any problems until now. Once I connected the camcorder via usb, iMovie would see it and open a window with all the files on the camera listed. It would automatically convert them as they were imported.

Now all of the sudden, iMovie won't do this anymore. Yes I have tried everything - rebooting both camera and MacBook Pro, switching usb ports, cables, you name it.

Is anyone else having this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I don't know the solution, but the first thing to check when iMovie doesn't see the camera is to to check if OS X is seeing it. Use System Profiler and look under the USB entry for it. Plug in and turn on the camera before starting System Profiler. Hit the refresh keys (command-R) once every minute for about 5 minutes. Perhaps it is taking time for the system to find the camera. I've seen that mentioned a few times before.

Unfortunately I've seen people mention this problem but don't recall any hard fast solutions. If you have another computer you can connect the camera to, try that with all of your cables. Confirming the camera port hasn't gone bad is an obvious idea.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
NewAppleMacGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
I don't know the solution, but the first thing to check when iMovie doesn't see the camera is to to check if OS X is seeing it. Use System Profiler and look under the USB entry for it. Plug in and turn on the camera before starting System Profiler. Hit the refresh keys (command-R) once every minute for about 5 minutes. Perhaps it is taking time for the system to find the camera. I've seen that mentioned a few times before.

Unfortunately I've seen people mention this problem but don't recall any hard fast solutions. If you have another computer you can connect the camera to, try that with all of your cables. Confirming the camera port hasn't gone bad is an obvious idea.
Sorry - forgot to mention that my Mac does indeed recognize the camera since it shows up on my desktop. iMovie won't recognize it though. I've seen others with the same problem and I've ready that it might be due to recent OS X updates. Guess I'll see...
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Just out of curiosity - did you take any still with the camera on the same memory card? I've heard of some people having trouble with the footage being recognized when there are stills also on the card (different camera tho, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask ).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
NewAppleMacGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Just out of curiosity - did you take any still with the camera on the same memory card? I've heard of some people having trouble with the footage being recognized when there are stills also on the card (different camera tho, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask ).
Nope, no stills.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Ok, well, that was my only thought on the matter - figured it couldn't hurt to ask

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes TV Show issues | Graphic Card Driver to Support OpenGL for FCP6 on OLD COMPUTER??????? »