Thread: Vlc

Specs:
    MacBook OSX
    Vlc
    Hello. I tend to prefer using VLC for watching video over Quicktime and the Apple DVD player, but the last time I tried to use it I got this message:

It was working fine before, and I'm not sure why it's changed now. Any advice on what's going on/how to fix it, or can you recommend a player that covers all the file extensions and isn't bulk? Thanks for any help.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Weird! Have you tried downloading the most current version?
    You can also get Perian , a Quicktime plug in, that plays virtually everything via Quicktime.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    What version of OSX are you running and what type of Mac do you have? Did you recently upgrade VLC? Have you changed anything else on the system recently?
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    What version of OSX are you running and what type of Mac do you have? Did you recently upgrade VLC? Have you changed anything else on the system recently?
    I think you're thinking the same thing I am. If VLC was recently updated, it's possible that the version isn't compatible with your version of OS X which looks to be pre-10.5. Note that on the VLC website it states that 1.0.5 (the most recent version) is for 10.5+.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    MacBook OSX
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm running a (almost) 3-year old macbook with the original OS (Tiger, I think) and the newest version of VLC (I deleted the application and then reinstalled it when this problem first arose). I'll try Perian as Kevriano suggested, and if that doesn't work I'll see about finding an older version of VLC. I just figured the new one would be compatible with older versions of OSX as well. Thanks for your help.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    On the page that I linked to in my previous post, there is a download link for the "newest" version for Tiger. I say "newest" because it is a few releases behind.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    MacBook OSX
    Thanks.

Thread Information