New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

VHS to computer converter, anyone have any recs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maconvert

maconvert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM

Has anyone ever used this software? It's called Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac. I can't seem to find many reviews.

Anyone have any other recs? I had a vhs to dvd converter that lasted for years and now it's dead, and I still have loads of home videos etc..to preserve. It would be great to get a converter that can go straight to the computer for the second time around..so that way I could skip a step and go straight from vhs to computer and skip the dvd making
However, if the software is not good, then why bother?

Thanks in advance everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
applebanana

applebanana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD

I got something similar to this a while ago. AV USB VHS TV to DVD Capture Card S-Video Grabber - eBay (item 330437228024 end time May-27-10 01:04:53 PDT)
It didn't exactly do quite what I wanted it to do and its really cheap but something similar to that might work. also the software is for pc not mac so keep that in mind.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

This works great for me.

Macintosh Video Capture made easy with the Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I'm evaluating the same thing to try to get rid of a bunch of home movie videotapes, and dump some TV from Tivo. Based on what I read over the last several weeks, the EyeTV 250 gets very good reviews. Several of the other solutions are (to me anyway) quite expensive for what I hope will be a one-time project (for $300 or up I can take my tapes to someone else to convert to DVD).
QUOTE Thanks
jmoutria

jmoutria is on a distinguished road

Don't know if you've already purchased anything or not but...

I used the Capture for Mac Pinnacle for a bit and it was ok but I wanted to edit in FCE4/FCP. The Pinnacle captured for iTunes video in .mp4 and to edit this video in FCP I had to convert with MPEG Streamclip or suffer the never ending render cycle. This is a fine converter if you only want to import and drop in iDVD to make a movie but if you want to edit in anything above iMovie you may want to consider the Canopus devices. I am using the 110 which allows me to import analog/digital via firewire to my mac in DV. This is a native language and is very easy to work with in FCP...no conversion or rendering! This saved me loads of time doing my conversions. I bought my converter used on eBay for about 150$ US.

I am not an authority on this subject...but after converting about 65 videos through the Pinnacle and now 150 on the Canopus I am a believer! Hope this helps.

Moreover, the Canopus allows me to import using firewire, S-Video and AV cables. So, I hook my Satellite up to the Mac and record tv straight to my computer and then drop them on DVD's. The captured video can easily be dropped straight into an iDVD project...no editor required if you so choose.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Idvd Issue | imovie and other audio inputs »