New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Unable to drag iMovie events into Project

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

docbombay

docbombay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz

I am very new to Mac, and am trying iMovie for the first time. I have a Sony DCR-TRV18 miniDV camcorder, and have successfully imported a little over two hours of miniDV tapes into iMovie, and they show up as events. However, when I try to drag any event into the project area (after creating a new project), it is not retained. My particular events were organized by year, with individual day events contained within the "year" event. i have tried moving single days, or the year, and nothing is successful--in fact, I cannot even drag the event at all when the "year" is selected. I should also point out that I do not need or want to edit individual clips--I just want to get all the events in chronological order into projects, and then to copy onto DVDs. I have consulted iMovie help to no avail--can anyone help me? Thank you.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

To debug something like this I'd start Console.app in the Utilities folder, then start iMovie and try these things that are not working. Then I'd look at the log in Console app to see if any errors or warnings were reported for those actions.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
docbombay

docbombay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz

Well, I feel like an idiot! I accidentally discovered (after quite a few frustrating efforts) that the clips themselves are to be selected. I was trying to select the files listed in the event library menu. After playing with them a little bit, I learned how to move the clips easily, and successfully created two DVDs!

And I should have known better than to leave out the software version, but just didn't think of it. I appreciate the reminder for future reference.

Thanks for the quick response--sorry I sounded the alarm prematurely!

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
koola

koola is on a distinguished road

Select which clips where? I'm on iMovie11 and I have used iMovie a long time, but not recently, but this problem suddenly seems to happen for me. I create an event and import videos, then have to select videos and drag into a project I create, right?

That just scrolls down the event videos and drags nothing into the project. The preview plays the videos in the events, the projects area has apparently become redundant. Either I'm missing something or the app has gone wrong in some way.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Whoa...whoa...Once you create an event...you must open the event ( or actually add clips to the event ). When you open the event and reveal individual clips within the event only those can be selected in part or as a whole to be added to a project. Entire events cannot be moved into a project.

Idiot alert...I was actually responding to posts 1, 2, 3...which are 4 months old....sorry for the confusion. As to post #4...seems logical...try again...I am at a loss to help with your problem if it persists.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with uploading from Sony video camera | youtube to dvd »