New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Help needed for a movie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jennifer

Jennifer is on a distinguished road

Hi,

My son made a move for his school project and now we cannot get it to save to an email because it says it is too big (8 Mg or g, I can't remember what he said, but I am sure that there a huge difference). I am not sure if it is movie 6 or whatever you were talking about because I don't know where to look.

It is due today and it won't post to his Utube account, facebook, an email and it is too big for our memory stick or for a DVD.

If anyone has any suggestions other than bringing the computer to school to show the teacher (he says he would rather die first than do that) I would be so thankful.

Best regards,
Jennifer
QUOTE Thanks
MacKeeper

MacKeeper is on a distinguished road

It is probably 8gigabytes if you can't fit it on a DVD, and yes that is a lot of space.
You probably have the uncompressed avi file, which you will have to encode to a much smaller file.
I use MediaCoder on my PC to do this sort of thing, they have a Mac version available also, I haven't tried it out yet.
Here's the link to download it:
MediaCoder - Downloads
I recommend to try encoding into mpg using h264 codec and running aroung 2000kbps, see if this works our for you in both quality and filesize and maybe play around with the settings after that.
QUOTE Thanks
Jennifer

Jennifer is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much over there in the Ukraine! If I try it and it doesn't work, will it ruin his original movie by compressing it or will that still be there?

Jen
QUOTE Thanks
MacKeeper

MacKeeper is on a distinguished road

It doesn't do any damage to the original files, they will still be there, so you can try for as many times as you need.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Another thing you may want to try is Mpegstreamclip from Squared5 ( Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows ) - it works for both Mac and PC - you don't say which platform, but I am assuming it's on a Mac, so your output from iMovie would most likely be a .mov quicktime file. With mpegstreamclip, you can have it export to a variety of containers and codecs, including a H.264 mp4 @ whatever bitrate you want.

Honestly, it will probably be a bit easier to use then Mediacoder - I've used media coder a lot on the PC side and it is really good, but I won't say it's the easiest transcoding software out there (well, none are totally simple, but some are easier then others)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Jennifer, first click once on the video and then use the command-I keys to get information on the file. How big is it? There is a huge difference between MB (Megabytes) and GB (Gigabytes).

What is the length of the video in time?

Which version of iMovie did you use to make the video? Start it up and use the "About iMovie" under the iMovie menu. A pop up window tells you what version it is.

My iMovie Export Guide may help you do an export that is a reasonable size. I'd recommend creating a .mov file with the H.264 vide codec and ACC audio. That can be uploaded to YT.

P.S. I moved this from the other thread you posted to.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help! My iMovie 6.0 is going wonky on me! | .MOV audio wont play in Tiger, but will in Leopard »