New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Is this even possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Potorikan

Potorikan is on a distinguished road

I've seen countless threads/articles/u name it, on how to get ur mac desktop to appear on your tv (i.e using your HDTV as a second or primary display from a mac source) which is fine. what i have yet to find is how to mirror your TV's image onto your mac (basically the reverse) is this even possible to do at all?

to clarify, im not asking because I want to play a movie and try ripping it or anything. I'm trying to find an alternative to recording gameplay from my PS3 to upload later onto YouTube that doesn't involve using things like dazzle or some weird elgato contraption. basically trying to find out if it's possible to mirror the tv image onto my desktop in it's own window so then I can use a screen video capture sw to save the movie to edit in iMovie after. can anyone help?

thx again for the help

D

David
MBP 15 Unibody/2.93 Intel/4GB/320HD
PS3 Slim 250
Samsung LNT4071 40 HDTV
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Nope, you require some sort of video capture device (dazzle, pinnacle adapter, elgator, hdpvr, etc.) or some sort of video deck that will take an analog signal and convert it to a digital stream to be fed via firewire to capture in iMovie or FCE or FCP to be able to record a video stream on your Mac.

Other then that, there is no pre-existing video input on a Mac that you can just plug your PS3 into to make a recording - sorry

You'd be surprised how often this question is asked.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is not possible on "any" computer, whether you're running OS X, Windows or Linux to capture video from a standard set top DVD player, TV, o-t-a broadcast signals, satellite or cable TV signals, or from any gaming device without a hardware video capture device such as the ElGato devices for the Mac. There are a couple of others out there and there are a great many for Windows. Sorry, but that's how it's done.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potorikan View Post
I've seen countless threads/articles/u name it, on how to get ur mac desktop to appear on your tv (i.e using your HDTV as a second or primary display from a mac source) which is fine. what i have yet to find is how to mirror your TV's image onto your mac (basically the reverse) is this even possible to do at all?

to clarify, im not asking because I want to play a movie and try ripping it or anything. I'm trying to find an alternative to recording gameplay from my PS3 to upload later onto YouTube that doesn't involve using things like dazzle or some weird elgato contraption. basically trying to find out if it's possible to mirror the tv image onto my desktop in it's own window so then I can use a screen video capture sw to save the movie to edit in iMovie after. can anyone help?

thx again for the help

D

David
MBP 15 Unibody/2.93 Intel/4GB/320HD
PS3 Slim 250
Samsung LNT4071 40 HDTV
Well yes... if you absolutely have to get your TV picture onto your mac without using those pesky capture cards. You can do it... but the results will not be great but might be good enough for posting game play onto youtube.

Take your macbook and place it in front of the TV facing the TV... Now position the screen of the macbook so the camera captures the TV image. In other words you use the mac's camera to capture the TV image like you were using a camcorder. It wont give you great results but it will allow you to capture game play. To maximize the quality... adjust the TV to bright setting, turn off the lights in the room, turn off the macbook's screen to eliminate reflections. and try to set your macbook so the camera is dead center of the TV and pointing straight at it.

Of course after reviewing the results you may find that a pesky thing like a capture card makes up for the difficulty in set-up with quality of image.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
Well yes... if you absolutely have to get your TV picture onto your mac without using those pesky capture cards. You can do it... but the results will not be great but might be good enough for posting game play onto youtube.

Take your macbook and place it in front of the TV facing the TV... Now position the screen of the macbook so the camera captures the TV image. In other words you use the mac's camera to capture the TV image like you were using a camcorder. It wont give you great results but it will allow you to capture game play. To maximize the quality... adjust the TV to bright setting, turn off the lights in the room, turn off the macbook's screen to eliminate reflections. and try to set your macbook so the camera is dead center of the TV and pointing straight at it.

Of course after reviewing the results you may find that a pesky thing like a capture card makes up for the difficulty in set-up with quality of image.
Have to admit, that's a good one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! Best FLV EDITOR for Mac Snow Leopard???? | Help with Imovies exporting Please »