New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

AVCHD native playback player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hey all,

I know many here, like myself, would love better playback of AVCHD footage - I was reading in a different forum and came across this player:

Downloads - movist - Project Hosting on Google Code

I tried it out on footage from my Canon HF100, and it played back my AVCHD footage without a hiccup (which was a lot better then attempting to play it back on VLC ).

So far only a few annoying things like you can't point it to the top level folder of an AVCHD structure and tell it to play - you have to navigate down to the streams (ie: /Volumes/CANON/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM). It will play the streams in sequence tho. I had started it playing my 00000.mts file figuring it would stop and I'd have to start the next one in sequence, but it auto started the next file (this function can be turned off in preferences tho). Another annoyance, I'm used to pressing cmd+I to pull up an information window about the current playing clip (to get bitrate/codec/audio stream info/etc) but that key sequence in movist acts as a screen capture which is saved to your desktop - to get the info you have to pull up the "control panel" via the gear or alt+cmd+c then select properties.

It's still in development, so I'm sure it'll get better, but so far - at least for me, it saves me from having to transcode things just so I can quickly play for someone what is on a SD card (since it will play the files directly from an SD card).

So far I've only tested it on my Mac Pro at home, I'm going to bring it to work where I use an C2D iMac and test it out to see how it works there.

I don't normally mention software like this, but I know so many of us really would like a native AVCHD player that works better then VLC...

ps - I have NOTHING to do with development on this tool at all, I learned about it from a post a dvinfo.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I want to make an AMAZING viral short film. Whose with me??? :D | Archiving an iMovie project? »