New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Choppy Video Streaming

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slim91

slim91 is on a distinguished road

Hi there I have a powerbook G4 and for some reason every time i try to stream a video online it always comes out choppy. Audio is great but the video itself sucks. The internet connection is terrific as well (I tested the internet with other computers). I tried looking online for solutions to this problem but all it tells me to do is to empty all stored information in the web browser (ex. history, cookies, cache etc.) I did this already but the videos still come out choppy. What can I do? Please and thank you!

:bomb:
QUOTE Thanks
slim91

oh ya and the other reason why I know internet signal is terrific is because i can open other webpages in a few seconds

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Where is this streaming coming from? You tube for example? If so, what version of OSX do you have on that Powerbook? The latest versions of Flash on a G4 take 100% CPU on sites like You Tube. If it's flash videos, then that is your issue.

Also like has been mentioned, if they are HD videos, the G4 will have issues keeping up also.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I sometimes hit the pause button for videos I'm trying to watch to allow the buffer to fill. Vimeo was especially bad. Once the video had fully loaded, playback was smooth. I blame the Flash player for this.

How fast is your G4? How much memory do you have? How update to date are all of the involved software pieces?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
slim91

I always let the video completely load. Playback still sucks. My G4 runs on OSx 10.4.11 and is pretty fast for an old computer. there's about 23 GB of free space on the hard drive so I don't think that's the issue. I'm referring to video streaming with Youtube videos. I use a firefox web browser (3.6.3) and I've tried using other browsers, I still get the same annoying playback effect. Regarding flash, I know that I use a version 7.0.

Please let me know how else i can fix this. thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm guessing that Flash isn't the main issue here simply because you have quite an old version and from experience, Flash's main performance issues have only become really bad with the last few releases. Do you have any performance issues when viewing other Flash content?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
slim91

Just problems with videos. When it comes to other things like games, there doesn't seem to be any problem with loading. That's basically all i use flash for in the internet (videos and games).

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim91 View Post
I always let the video completely load. Playback still sucks. My G4 runs on OSx 10.4.11 and is pretty fast for an old computer.
But how fast? If you are trying to watch any HD steams, it may simply not be up to the task, even after allowing the whole video to transfer. ****, even what is considered low grade now might be too much.

Try this cool video in all the YouTube modes of 360p, 480p, and 720.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
slim91

I loaded the video at 360p and it still plays frame by frame. I tried the higher resolution versions and they still came out the same way. Is there something I can upgrade with my computer software so that the video plays smoothly? I really want to fix this.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

BUT HOW FAST IS YOUR COMPUTER? HOW MUCH RAM DO YOU HAVE? AM I SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGH FOR YOU?

The Powerbook G4 speed range is from 400Mhz up to 1.67 Ghz. That is a big range for us to guessing about. If you are very short on RAM, the system could be swapping out to the drive. Look at the Activity Monitor to get some clues about performance issues.

My dual 867Mhz tower, mentioned under my profile, has trouble with YouTube. Its packed up right now so I can't do any testing to be more specific.

QUOTE Thanks
slim91

1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, 768MB DDR SDRAM

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tv shows not playing in iTunes | burning episodes on Toast »