New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Macbook and FCE?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Danarchy911

Danarchy911 is on a distinguished road

I've recently gotten into video editing and I was looking at getting Final Cut Express. I currently have a 13.3" white Macbook with intel core 2 duo 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM and about 17 GB left on the internal hard drive. I plan on using a large external hard drive to store the actual video footage. What would you guys suggest upgrading since going with a macbook pro isn't really an option at the moment. I assume upgrading ram would be in there but how much?
QUOTE Thanks
tjae

tjae is on a distinguished road

Hi Danarchy911,

i would upgrade to 4 gig ram.... i am using the macbook and have no issues and can run multiple applications. but the battery goes fast.

not much HD space i would think about your set up. remember HD's fail and fail often have 2 external HD one as an extra back up, just incase. if it is lost it is gone this includes internal HD.
i have moved to FCE and need help ... i will be posting tonight.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

It will work, but as mentioned you will definitely want to upgrade your RAM - there are many 13" white Macbooks that are in your CPU range, you will want to confirm your version but if you have a relatively new one you should be able to upgrade it to at least 4 gigs - I have edited with 2 gigs, 4 gigs is much nicer when editing video. One concern is if you have an Intel GMA X3100 or 950 - some fxplug features may not work - but that may not be critical to what you do (most features of the software will work fine - not even Apple was able to tell me back when I was shopping for a Mac which filters wouldn't work on the GMA chipset).

As you probably already guessed, you will not want to use your internal drive as your scratch/media drive. You will want and external Firewire drive (not USB if possible - although USB will work, it's much slower then firewire when dealing with large streaming files similar to video files) to act as your scratch/media drive. You will then need to go into the settings within FCE and tell it where the scratch/render/media drive is and it should use that to store your video/audio.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie09 to FCE 4.0 | Gunshot Effect with iMovie '09? »