New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Can anyone help me with imovie 08??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jade Mabberley

Jade Mabberley is on a distinguished road

Hiya! I was just wondering if someone could help? I have produced a movie using jpg stills to make a stop frame animation, but when I try to add in the transitions from scene to scene, it adds them in as 0.1 second, and no matter how many times I try and change the transition time it just doesn't work. So at the moment the transition time is so quick you can't actually see it at all. If any one could help, that'd be ace. I have literally tried everything. Also, upgrading is not an option!
Thanks so much in advance.
X
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Are you double-clicking on the transition in the Project pane? In other words, add the transition between two clips in the upper pane, then double click on it to bring up an inspector that lets you change the transition's duration.

In the future, it would help to know exactly how you're going about doing things. For instance, I don't know if you're trying to change the transition length before adding it to the project, which probably wouldn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
Jade Mabberley

Jade Mabberley is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
I am inserting the transition inbetween photo clips and then trying to change the duration of the transitions. I have trieddouble clicking on them to change the duration but this just plays the film. I have used cmd J to bring up the preferences and ctrl clicked on the transition whilst highlighted to change the transition times but all to no avail. I don't know what else I can try??
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Which version of iMovie are you using? Command J doesn't bring up preferences in iMovie '09, it brings up the aspect ratio box. Are you sure you're double clicking directly on the transition itself? The playhead does move and scrub through the video along with the mouse pointer, you just need to stop and double click directly on the the transition itself. Are you doing things exactly as shown in this short video?
Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

How long is each picture on each side of the transition set to appear? For a 4 second transition, each picture would have to be set to display for at least 4 seconds each, maybe a few frames more.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Good call, xstep!

If the photos' durations aren't long enough, they could be getting used up by the transition effect.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That's actually what I was gonna suggest to look at I'd say either:

1) make the images that are at the transition long enough for the transition (ugly as it will be a freezeframe transition

2) Create your stop motion animation in sections - create a complete section and export it, create the next section and export it., repeat for each of the segments that would occur between transitions. Then import all of those segments of (now video) into iMovie and use transitions between the segments.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting .m4v files to regular .mpeg or similar formats | Movie Tag Software »