New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Playing WMV files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hschaars

hschaars is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

I received a WMV file from a friend and it won't open in QuickTime Player. I have ver. 10.0. I downloaded an app called Flip4Mac but that doesn't work. How can I open this file?
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

Try Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

How do you like them Apples?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Flip4Mac should work though. Have you checked for a software update?
QUOTE Thanks
oposky2006

oposky2006 is on a distinguished road

VCL is also a workable player u can try
OR u can use handbrake or mpeg streamclip to convert wmv to mp4 or mov for playback on your Quicktime, although it is not easy to use for newbies.
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

I checked for an update for Flip4Mac and I downloaded the latest. I keep getting "The movie is not in a format that Quicktime player understands". What am I doing wrong? The file is a WMV file. Should I download Windows Media Player? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Windows Media Player is years obsolete and won't help.

If you have both the latest Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian, then the next thing to try would be to download VLC and see if it will play it.

The basic problem is that Windows is a slut.

By which I mean it tries to support literally every codec anyone out there (except Apple) comes up with instead of picking a format that seems to do the best job and making that the preferred standard.
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

I downloaded Perian and nothing shows. It doesn't appear in the applications folder. Should I be configuring settings? I went to the VLC site. Which version should I download? I now have Flip4Mac and Perian and they both don't work. I think I may be doing something wrong or not setting the apps up correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Did you install them after you downloaded them?
If they're not both now showing in System Preferences, then you haven't installed them.

It is also possible that particular file has DRM depending on where your friend go it. If so, there is nothing on OS X that will play it. (Although, I have yet to run into a wmv file I couldn't play on my Mac.)

It is also possible the file has become corrupt during the upload/download process.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

The 2 apps do show in System Preferences under "Other". My friend runs Windows 7. I don't know if that will make a difference with the wmv file. I'll try running the wmv file from my netbook tomorrow and see if it will work under XP.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Then you have not installed them.

You need to open them up after you download them and run their installer.

QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

They are both in the Systems Preferences under "Other". When I click on Perian, it says installed and gives an option to uninstall it and there are also some settings that could be configured. When I click on Flip4Mac I get options to configure settings. The Flip4Mac The Flip4Mac also shows in the Applications folder. So I think they are installed, but they don't work. Maybe I should tell my friend to resend the file and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Sorry, I mis-read and put a "not" in system preferences somehow. Long day, getting longer and cross-eyed here.

Wouldn't hurt having them re-send it. The combination of Flip, Perian and trying VLC will play just about anything. You shouldn't need to do any configuring.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I've had issues with the latest version of Flip in Snow Leopard, but certainly Perian and VLC work for me too.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

There are a few downloads listed on the VLC website. Which one do I download?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Err, the latest version for your OS. It should state which version OS it's for, but even then, if there's an update once installed you will get a prompt.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back up my DVDs | Straight up burning a movie to DVD »