New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

.rcproject too large to open iMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lorenzo1113

lorenzo1113 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OS X 10.6.2 2.8GHz 4GB ram

I have a large iMovie project (1.07GB) I created in iMovie08 and recently "upgraded" to iMovie09. I have been attempting to open iMovie09 but it keeps crashing on me as the .rcproject is too large.

When I take this large .rcproject file out of the iMovie project file, iMovie opens fine.

When I put it back in, it crashes ever time I try to open iMovie.

I've tried putting the project back into the iMovie project file after iMovie is open but it will not show up in the Project Library window.

Any help would be fantastic... Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I have no idea if this suggestion will work but it is easy enough to try.

First, use the Finder to make a duplicate of that .rcproject file.

Right click on the new duplicate file and chose 'Show Package Contents'.
If the Movies folder exists in the popup Finder window, then navigate to that location.
If you see a very large file there, delete it. This would be a 'shared' video.
Close the Finder window.
Add this now altered project back into the 'iMovie Projects' folder.

If you didn't see a Movies folder, I don't know what to think. Are there any other large files in the project is something I would look for.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
lorenzo1113

lorenzo1113 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OS X 10.6.2 2.8GHz 4GB ram

Thanks...
After right clicking on Show Package Contents I opened the Movie file in the popup Finder window but it was empty.
Even right clicked on that folder for "info" - 0kb. No luck...

I did manage to open a QuickTime version of the film in iMovie09, but the quality is not nearly as good and it randomly grouped the film into sections. (The film is stop action composed of over 1,200 still photos, some used as "titles" and just .2 of second.) So, I could edit it somewhat but not as specifically as I needed.

I did manage to use a friend's MacBook Pro with iMovie08 to thoroughly edit the film.

Still, very frustrating why an upgraded version of a program can't read a file created on an earlier version of the same program. Guess I need to find a 08 version of iLife...
Or break down and get Final Cut Pro...

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

The problem was that the project file was somehow corrupted -- or the install of iMovie 09 is. Normally opening 08 projects in 09 is no problem except for the building thumbnails part, which takes a bit of time. Maybe this is where your copy of 09 was having problems.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

While, that is a puzzle.

The third possibility is an iWeb bug. I'd look at reporting it to Apple. Also you should be at the very latest version.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why did iDVD stretch the menu after burning? | iMovie cross refer projects and events »