New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Best brand of dvd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sylvia mcclure

sylvia mcclure is on a distinguished road

Can someone suggest what brand of dvd works best to burn a movie. I have
a 2009 macbook pro.
I have been using verbatim & some will not play well in dvd players.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Sylvia
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Hello, welcome to the forums!
I personally like Sony disks, almost never have a problem with them.

If you want to see the quality of the different brands.
Recordable Dvd Quality Page 1

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I personally prefer Taiyo Yudens, but it's a bit harder to get those usually as most stores carry lesser brands like Maxell or memorex (ick) - I usually order from CD Dimensions, but they primarily sell in bulk.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I generally use Sony as well, but I've never had a problem with the odd brands I find on sale.

QUOTE Thanks
sylvia mcclure

Thanks for the input.... I have used Sony as well & had a few problems with them.
When I had a dell they suggested Verbatim & Sony. Just didn't know if there was anything better for mac. I make movies of dog seminars & burn a ton of dvd's for the participants.
Again Thanks!
Sylvia
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Verbatim are first class discs, and what do you mean 'will not play well in DVD players?" Is this referring to computer or TV players? Have always found Toast Titanium the best burning software for making DVD's, computer or TV units.
QUOTE Thanks
sylvia mcclure

I have had complaints that the discs ( burned on verbatim with my macpro 2009) skip & will stop playing completely in their dvd players.
Some have told me they have tried as many as 3 different dvd players with the same problem.
Not all have had this problem , but a few. For example I have sent 15 people a 6 dvd set of a seminar and had 3 people contact me with the problem of the disc not playing all the way thru or skipping.
Maybe its not the disc , but I don't know what else to think???
Open to any suggestions.
Thanks,Sylvia
QUOTE Thanks
orlandodx7

orlandodx7 is on a distinguished road

Sony is the best brand of DVD. I always use Sony disks for watching movies and for downloading.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If it is working for 12/15, the problem sounds like it is on the other 3 users end. Maybe they need to look at their DVD players. Try and copy on to another brand of disc and see if their problems continue.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with Harry. I have had the best luck with Verbatim also. What speed are you burning at? That can make a difference especially with some older SetTop DVD players. Try burning at a slower speed.

I have had the most issues with Memorex here. Burns never completing leave alone playing. Of everything I have tried Verbatim has been the best overall with both Macs and Windows machines here.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I like Verbatim, TDK, Maxell and Imation. Like dtravis7 suggested use a slower burn speed. I also tend to use DVD-R, which work in most of the DVD player I have run into.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I like Verbatim, TDK, Maxell and Imation. Like dtravis7 suggested use a slower burn speed. I also tend to use DVD-R, which work in most of the DVD player I have run into.
RMan brought up another excellent point I tend to forget about. Some older DVD players also have issued with +R (if I remember correctly) DVD's but work better with -R media.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That's because the -r specification is from the DVD consortium/DVD Forum which is the group that set down the standards for DVD medium. +Rr was from a grouping of companies that pretty much went against the Forum (I think it had something to do with licensing issues if I recall correctly) and wasn't accepted as a standardized DVD format by the Forum until like '07 or '08.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

I'll start by saying that you are putting yourself in a no win situation. When you start burning disks for other people you have to realize that in any group of people you will find people with DVD players that range from top of the line to some old piece of crap they bought from a garage sale. Not all DVD players are alike. What plays in 1 may not play in another.

That said there are some things you can do to increase the odds of the DVDs working. Start by using -r disks... they were the first standard so the odds of them working in any range of DVD players your customers have should be slightly higher... especially since most DVD players that play +r also play -r but not all -r will play +r.

Next, I would suggest you get a external burner and not rely on the mac book pros internal burner. While the MBP burner may work fine I've also found that when I burn the same thing using the same brand of disk that I can sometimes get coaster from the Mac's internal drive (though they often still work on the Mac's drive they just don't work on the home player)...

As for brands, as long as you stick with named brands you should be okay. But never assume the named brands are 100%, I once had a 50 disk pack and after 4 coasters started looking at them closely and found that each one was defective.

Lastly, it might not be the most popular thing to say, but I tend to get more consistent results using Nero in windows than I do with any burning program for the Mac OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Bro KV

Bro KV is on a distinguished road

Taiyo Yuden produce the fewest coasters for me and their shelf life is great once burned. I have Sony, Memorex and some other lower end disc that have become unreadable after a year or so. I finally went through and rewrote all the movies onto TY. Worth it for sure and I buy them at supermediastore.com for 100 was 38 bux or so (8x -R).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« does anyone know of any hd pvr that will work for mac laptops? | file transfer »