New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Project Library/Event Library Question about IMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

niseyware

niseyware is on a distinguished road

I am working on a video project and have highlight footage in my Project Library from footage in my Event Library. I now want to delete (empty to trash) some of the footage from the Event Library that I will not be using since I also have this footage on DVD's or memory cards.

My question is - if I delete the footage from the Event Library will it disappear from my Project Library?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Do not put footage that is being used in a project into the trash. Once your project loses access to it, the project has no way to reconnect to it later.

I don't have experience managing the trash. It isn't something I've had a great need for. There are a couple of ideas you should be able to use.

Each clip from an event that you have used in a project will have an orange bar on the lower part of the sub-clip you have used. If a clip doesn't have that bar, then it isn't being used and should be safe for deletion.

You can hi-lite pieces of clips (and whole clips) in events as rejects and then trash just the rejects. You do that be displaying only the rejects. A button appears that says 'Move Rejected to Trash'. This process might take a while because iMovie has to do some work of extracting only the rejected part of each clip and saving the non-rejected part of each clip involved. Also note that a reject hi-lite can cover a used hi-lite, so don't over do reject lengths.

If you have completed your project and done your final exports, then I think removing the project first will de-hilite clips in the events that were used. Now that the event clips would no longer be hi-lited, you'd know which ones are safe to remove.

If you are trying to recover space on your main startup drive, then there are ways to move your events and projects to another drive. The other drive will of course need to have plenty of space to hold the content.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
niseyware

niseyware is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your answer Xstep. I guess I should have waited for your answer before I tried to figure it out myself. I got frustrated and antsy and deleted a movie or two and voila - my clips turned gray. See my new post. I still see them there if I run my cursor over them but....they are not really there. Thanks though. Next time I will try to have more patience. Not my strong suit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Argh- grey space in Project Library after sending movie to trash | Is all iTunes music DRM? Trying to edit with it in Final Cut? »