New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

help with video on mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AshleyA

AshleyA is on a distinguished road

I have a PC that I have video on and I transfered my video to an external hard drive so I could then put it on my mac. and for some reason I can not play these videos on my mac. Is there something i have to do when transfering files from a pc to a mac. It looks like the file type changed as well but I didn't change it knowingly.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Well, the first thing that would be helpful to know is what are the video files on the PC? Are they AVI's or are the WMVs or are they something else?

Chances are, unless they have DRM attached to them - you can play them if you install one (or both) of these packages (these two packages will give you the most flexibility overall):

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components
and
Windows Media® Components for QuickTime

The first one will open up support for a lot of containers, like AVI, MKV, etc. The second one is specifically for WMVs.

I'm not sure how much perian integerates with QuicktimeX (assuming you have snow leopard installed) so you may need to install quicktime 7 from your OS install DVD - once again, assuming you're using Snow Leopard.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I also recommend downloading/installing VLC player just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
oposky2006

oposky2006 is on a distinguished road

yeah, lots of video files cant be played on Mac. only few video formats such as mov, mp4, etc can be accepted by Mac. You must put the unsupported video files to your Mac. U can convert them to a compatible format, or use VLC or Gom player to help u.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Actually, with perian installed, you can play most containers, and with flip4mac, you can play WMVs - and between using that for quicktime playback of various containers and VLC player, you can play most, if not all popular/major containers and codecs.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie question | Argh- grey space in Project Library after sending movie to trash »