New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

what should I get ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WeeBarraxO

WeeBarraxO is an unknown at this point

I got a new Macbook pro a few days ago and am wondering what video editing software to buy ?

I use sony vegas movie studio 9 platinum pro on my old lappy, is Final cut express the Mac version of this ?
QUOTE Thanks
WeeBarraxO

anyone know ??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You don't need to double post the same question!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
WeeBarraxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You don't need to double post the same question!
I haven't double posted the same question ,

in one I asked for IMAGE editing software and in the other I asked for VIDEO editing software please read before having a go !
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I guess a lot would depend on how exactly you were using it - ie: were you using the bluray feature of VMS9PP? Were you using 5.1 audio? Were you using soundtrack heavily, etc.

There are a lot of very powerful low cost editors on the windows side of the world, and not as many on the OSX side - so some feature sets are a bit harder to directly compare.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

I used sony vegas platinum when I had a PC and loved it, but Final cut express is better in my opinion. there are a few features that sony vegas has that FCE doesn't, but I think FCE is still more powerful and capable than SV. using vegas will definitely give you head start in learning final cut, but there will still be a bit of a learning curve. I used this: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Fin...D_QuickRef.pdf to help me out a lot.

How do you like them Apples?
QUOTE Thanks
WeeBarraxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
I guess a lot would depend on how exactly you were using it - ie: were you using the bluray feature of VMS9PP? Were you using 5.1 audio? Were you using soundtrack heavily, etc.

There are a lot of very powerful low cost editors on the windows side of the world, and not as many on the OSX side - so some feature sets are a bit harder to directly compare.
I'm justa hobby editor really, make video's fro youtube etc, I just really enjoy editing, so just looking for something with a bit more effects than iMovie
QUOTE Thanks
WeeBarraxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZach View Post
I used sony vegas platinum when I had a PC and loved it, but Final cut express is better in my opinion. there are a few features that sony vegas has that FCE doesn't, but I think FCE is still more powerful and capable than SV. using vegas will definitely give you head start in learning final cut, but there will still be a bit of a learning curve. I used this: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Fin...D_QuickRef.pdf to help me out a lot.
thank you , just don't want to go a buy it then it ends up nothing like what I'm looking for
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

For hobby editing, I'd say FCE is a wonderful tool (heck, even for a lot of people who edit products for sale; it's much more then adequate). FCE is very powerful, but some of the additional things you could do in VMS9PP might not be avail in FCE - like BluRay authoring (bluray authoring on a Mac is not nearly as developed as it is on Windows - honestly I think this is Jobs' aversion to bluray in general), DVD Authoring (you would need to use another tool like iDVD or MovieGate or DVD Studio Pro (but this tool comes with FCS a much more expensive package), etc. But in terms of a general editor it is quite complete.

To also give you a feel for what the program looks like to operate, you can check out this FCE tutorial set here:

Learn Final Cut Express 4 - Izzy Video

(his video podcast costs money, but the learn fce is a free video set)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App for video screen capture - non SWF | Fire Rippling Effect »