New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How do I edit my videos from my cannon fs200 on imovie?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oposky2006

oposky2006 is on a distinguished road

I want to edit the videos that I have filmed on my cannon fs200 but the videos are in .mod format. I have changed the file extension to .mpg, I have download converters and everything, nothing seems to work.... If anyone has any ideas I would be much obliged.. Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

What version of iMovie do you have? From what I read from other users of the camera - if you have iMovie '08 or '09 and connect the camera to the computer iMovie should be able to import the footage (although it may require that you don't mess with the individual files and leave them where they are on the card) - for that matter, where were they on the card? Is there a reason you were trying to import the individual files rather then attempt to import from the camera?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Bravo for figuring out that "mod" is just a proprietary version of Mpeg.

Sadly, iMovie doesn't read MPEG (well, MPEG-2 which is what you have there) files. You'll need to convert them.

One program that is free and I know works directly with .mod files is MPEG Streamclip. It can do basic editing right there (I mean REALLY basic editing), and can convert the file into a format iMovie wants (I'd suggest DV but bear in mind the resulting files are HUGE!).

Give it a spin.
QUOTE Thanks
oposky2006

oposky2006 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your suggestion. I am using iMovie 07 and want to import the individual files from camera. Mod seems cant be imported directly. Maybe i need to convert it to a compatible format with my imovie. i will have a try.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to FCE 4, need some suggestions | flash player on mac book pro »