New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Editing music videos in iMovie 09

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mjb111

mjb111 is on a distinguished road

New to video editing, iMovie 09 and Mac 10.x. I've discovered some neat tricks, but some basic edits are eluding me. The audio of these videos has been mastered, and I am detaching the original audio before applying the new mastered audio track to the video. So far so good...

1. I figured out how to insert a still shot with a title at the beginning of a video, but when I do, the audio track begins with the still shot, not with the beginning of the video clip. How can I move back the audio track by 4 sec. or whatever, so that the video and audio stay in synch?

2. Something similar happens when I try to cut a second or two off the front of the video. I can cut the end of the clip, and the audio will stop with the video. But when I cut the beginning of the clip, it only cuts the video and the audio is then longer and out of synch. How do I cut the video and audio together at the beginning of a clip?

3. How do I add a video fade-in from black to the beginning of a clip while having the audio play behind it?

Let me know if I'm just asking too much from iMovie 09.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I don't use iMovie that much but here are some tutorials that have come in handy when I've needed to.

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

There is a video there about trimming, adding music, adding still photos, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

It sounds like you have made the audio the background audio. You'll have a big green background in your project if this is true.

You want to attach the audio to the video. Drag the audio clip to the spot in the video clip where you want it to start. When successful, you'll have a thin green bar under the clip for the length of your video, or music.

For the fade from black, use the 'Cross Dissolve' transition. Grab and drop it at the front of the project clips.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
mjb111

Yes, I have the Big Green Monster background. I knew there had to be a better way. Let me try that after I put in the still shot at the beginning, and I'll report back. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mjb111

It's all good. Sometimes getting a couple of new techniques opens up even more. Thanks xstep!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

You are welcome. Glad to see it worked out for you.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« downloading mini dvd movie to an imac | New to FCE 4, need some suggestions »